Minimal effort prep. to test new plot?

dingo bingo

Morning all,

I was fortunate to stumble upon what looks likes an almost perfect plot while walking the dog recently. I have grown outdoors before (almost 10 years ago was the last time) so have a rough idea of what to do but I stopped due to my old plot being found. I put a lot of work in to that plot just to have 2 seasons of awful weather and the third was when it was ripped, obviously this was disappointing and left me unmotivated to find another plot.

This new plot I've found has renewed my motivation but I'm not getting carried away and putting in loads of work right away, especially as it's already so late to be starting.

What would be the best way to prepare a few planting holes to grow some plants this year with minimal effort? (To primarily see if they survive a season without being found - if they do I will put in a lot of work over winter to go big next year). At present the area is covered with brambles and nettles, I'm thinking of clearing a small area and then using bottomless pots buried in to the soil?

Cheers, DB.

:smokin:

• Like 2

All depends on the quality of your soil, but if you've got a lot of nettles it's probably pretty good.

Bottomless pots would work, but they'll need more watering which will be more work and a more established/obvious trail to your plot.

I'd probably dig a few holes about 40cmx40cmx40cm or so, then re fill them with a mix of native soil, nice light fluffy compost with some slow release ferts (fish blood and bone or similar) towards the bottom.

Give each plant at least 1m2 and make each one a rabbit cage to keep them protected. Apply slug pellets at plant out (the ferrous ones are better for the environment). 

I wouldn't worry about clearing an area, just trample down the undergrowth around all your holes. Less work, more stealth (especially from drones), better moisture retention etc etc. The squashed over nettle's won't be able to stand back up and they'll help smother anything trying to grow from below. 

Once you're confident about security I'd move over to a no dig/no till style and build up some beds over winter. Check out Charles Dowding and Mendo Dope on YT for more info. 

E2A dunno if you've been keeping up with the GG scene, but the genetics have a come a loooong way in ten years, check out the site sponsors real gorilla seeds and the breeder alfemco on the site store, both of them are putting out some seriously good beans for GGIng.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 8

On my late plots I’ve been using 6x natural fibrous fertiliser as it says you can use it on seedlings so I'm guessing it’s not ‘hot’. I’ve never used it before though. I’m still giving it a couple of weeks before plantout. And foxes seem to like it but it does stink. 
I’ve read a couple times on here that growmore is used on late found plots.

I planted straight into new holes lightly amended with organic last year and took ages for them to get going. 

• Like 7

Yeah grow more is a good all round food for just about anything to be fair, would be a sub for FBB. Never heard of the 6x stuff but it looks like a brilliant addition, add nutrients and texture at the same time.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

germinate beans now !

its not too late to start.... !!!...now temperatures are getting good for our plant

clear the plot and plant away...not in pots

on late founds plots...i use osmocote nutes.. they are slow release nutes...with no fear of burning.

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 7

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went back to the plot yesterday and decided to hack through the thick brambles to look at an area further away from the road etc. Unfortunately I found evidence of what must've been a previous guerilla grow - chicken wire cages we use. However, it looks like they were from years ago - anyone want to guess how many years ago? The cages are green and kinda hard to see....

large.646f39da97b8e_cage1small.jpglarge.646f39e5317e6_cage2small.jpglarge.646f39f1b3f19_cage3small.jpglarge.646f39fc8de0f_cage4small.jpg

I'm tempted to carry on, albeit with a bit less effort in case they return to rip. Access is OK, I could drop bags of compost etc off and then carry them 10 mins to the plot. This area would be much better in terms of security etc (only a stone's throw away so the previous GG'er could spot my plants in either area) but the soil doesn't look as good - judging by the presence of grass instead of nettles.

large.646f3a077709a_mainsmall.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like lots of sedge, so probably quite wet claggy soil, but really good sun exposure. 

Maybe try a couple of plants in each spot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Looks like lots of sedge, so probably quite wet claggy soil, but really good sun exposure. 

Maybe try a couple of plants in each spot. 

Sun exposure is great, that photo is looking south. If the soil is like that - would it be worth using bottomless pots or similar so the plants have a good medium to start and develop in? There's a river nearby for water access so watering once or twice a week wouldn't be a problem.

E2A: I've been wondering why the previous GG'er hasn't returned - perhaps that poor soil is why?

Edited by dingo bingo

Hard to say without sticking my soil in the ground.  Obviously the previous tenant didn't feel the need to, but then again did they get a good crop? 

If 2 visits a week doesn't phase you then bottomless pots might be an idea, but the risk with that is more obvious trails leading to your plot, plus the pots are often visible from a greater distance than the plants.

Like I say until you know what kind of soil your dealing with and if it's a suitable Ph it's hard to say what the best approach would be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Hard to say without sticking my soil in the ground.  Obviously the previous tenant didn't feel the need to, but then again did they get a good crop? 

If 2 visits a week doesn't phase you then bottomless pots might be an idea, but the risk with that is more obvious trails leading to your plot, plus the pots are often visible from a greater distance than the plants.

Like I say until you know what kind of soil your dealing with and if it's a suitable Ph it's hard to say what the best approach would be. 

I hope they got a crop so bad they never return :wassnnme:

Yeah my main concern with access is upon leaving there's no way of knowing if there's anyone walking on the road I pop out on to, there's often dogwalkers around.

I'll go back tomorrow with a pH kit and some tools to have a good look at the soil.

The ex Tennant may have move area so far away they can't use that spot.

You may have found a spot nobody uses any more and that check wire is a nice sighn/gift from previous person to say its a good grow area.

That ground may have been amended and had loads compo put in dl.

Dig abit up and check what the earths like.

Or you could be ripped .

What you gunna do roll with it or leave it?

Wire looks fairly new but hard to tell as it’s coated.

Use the same wire and holes just do a bit of clearing of each one turn it over and plant in them. If they were using it this year there would be at least some evidence of prep/visits by now so I’d say you’re safe for this year. Leave cages in place and do a subtle top dress at end of season and just monitor it again in spring next year for any activity and go from there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, B-real said:

The ex Tennant may have move area so far away they can't use that spot.

You may have found a spot nobody uses any more and that check wire is a nice sighn/gift from previous person to say its a good grow area.

That ground may have been amended and had loads compo put in dl.

Dig abit up and check what the earths like.

Or you could be ripped .

What you gunna do roll with it or leave it?

Plots too good to not roll the dice....

I'm gonna order some seeds tomorrow I think :punk:

• Like 3