Is my carbon filter expired or still good

Blitztf

Hey guys just a quick question. I have a ram 125/475 5 inch carbon filter. I used it once. Then stored in attic for 4-6 years. Will it be expired by now? And can I use it without the dust cover? Cause I have lost it somehow. And cant find a ram replacement. I don't mind buying a new one. But if I can get one more go out of it then happy days. I can't risk smell see so it's important

• Like 1

Should be good so long as it was stored ok, I wouldn't use it without a cover but you can make your own using some cooker hood filter or aquatic stuff (cheaper and better imo) .

Search "Love Aquatics 1 Metre Roll of 35-45mm Filter Wool/Floss for Aquarium and Pond Filters" on the river site, pretty sure you could find thinner stuff as well.

Fox carbon filters are cheap (£35) and reliable, so if yours in knackered you can always get one of those delivered quickly off the river site

Edited by Rhubarb & Flustered
  • Like 2

It's hours of use rather than age that matter and the only thing that fucks them up is the damp, so depending on where you stored it, it should be fine to use for a few more runs at least.  

Always good to have a spare in stock though, so maybe buy a new one anyway to have on the shelf in case you ever come home to a failed CF. 

• Like 2

The only way to know for sure is to test it out :yep:

Even a makeshift cover will increase the life of the carbon in the filter.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1