Yellowing seedlings

Hole in the clouds

8 hours ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

ended up having to rip them away and potted into normal pots

i did this after planting khol rabi and the root ball was the same shape as the pot after months of being in the ground lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

I tried them after seeing Choppers had used them but failed miserably, ended up having to rip them away and potted into normal pots, straight away they perked up.

Great if you have the time and knowledge is what I'm guessing, but a bit shit if you don't.

Did you use the exact ones that they use? From what I gather the off brand ones are shite, it's the slotted jiffy branded ones that work properly. 

• Like 1

Bit gutted to be honest there’s a lot of moneys worth of seeds in those jiffy’s. I’ve looked into it now there’s not many fans as there’s so many problems with them. The margin for error is huge. I’ve been keeping them moist now but they looked even worse this morning. 
I’ve bought 9cm square pots now I’m hoping they will fit in those. I’ll rip them off if I can but the roots are showing through the pots on a lot of them so will just plant them in pots still in jiffy’s. If the 9cm pots are not big enough I’ll swap them for 11cm but I’ll have to set up my 2mx2m tent then as the 11cms won’t fit in the small tent. I might set it up anyway otherwise gunna be a squeeze. 
I know the photoperiods will perk up but the autos are probably not going to be happy so I don’t know if I should leave those? I only put them in the peat pots 2 days ago? 

6 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Did you use the exact ones that they use? From what I gather the off brand ones are shite, it's the slotted jiffy branded ones that work properly. 

Ones from the garden centre, not 100% sure what brand they were but you could be right.

I'll not be testing the theory though lol

53 minutes ago, Hole in the clouds said:

Bit gutted to be honest there’s a lot of moneys worth of seeds in those jiffy’s. I’ve looked into it now there’s not many fans as there’s so many problems with them. The margin for error is huge. I’ve been keeping them moist now but they looked even worse this morning. 
I’ve bought 9cm square pots now I’m hoping they will fit in those. I’ll rip them off if I can but the roots are showing through the pots on a lot of them so will just plant them in pots still in jiffy’s. If the 9cm pots are not big enough I’ll swap them for 11cm but I’ll have to set up my 2mx2m tent then as the 11cms won’t fit in the small tent. I might set it up anyway otherwise gunna be a squeeze. 
I know the photoperiods will perk up but the autos are probably not going to be happy so I don’t know if I should leave those? I only put them in the peat pots 2 days ago? 

With plenty of care and a lot of water spray to soak from the outside,you should be okay ripping them to bits, just leave bits that have roots coming through or rip around them.

I would be getting the autos out asap,should be okay but then I'd have to because my brain wouldn't let me get s decent sleep until I did.

Good luck :hippy:

Edited by Rhubarb & Flustered
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

Ones from the garden centre, not 100% sure what brand they were but you could be right.

I'll not be testing the theory though lol

Yeah the only people with the good ones are RGSC, Jiffy discontinued them so Panik bought all the remaining stock.

The other brands/types are crap in comparison, they're made from a different material. I've used a lot of them myself and had the same issues you describe. 

Don't take my word for it though, check out ch@ppers' guerilla growing photo's, he's getting 4-5 foot tall autos out in the wild! 

I sound like a fucking salesman, but I promise I'm not affiliated with RGSC or Jiffy in any way lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hole in the clouds said:

know the photoperiods will perk up but the autos are probably not going to be happy so I don’t know if I should leave those? I only put them in the peat pots 2 days ago? 

If you try to transfer the auto's at this stage you may as well chuck them in the bin. Stick with the jiffys, at least for the auto's.

E2A, it takes time for changes to come into effect when growing in soil, so don't expect them to perk up overnight now your keeping them moist. Also anything that's faded will stay faded even after the problem is solved, you'll know it's fixed if the fade stops progressing and the new growth looks healthy. 

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah the only people with the good ones are RGSC, Jiffy discontinued them so Panik bought all the remaining stock.

The other brands/types are crap in comparison, they're made from a different material. I've used a lot of them myself and had the same issues you describe. 

Don't take my word for it though, check out ch@ppers' guerilla growing photo's, he's getting 4-5 foot tall autos out in the wild! 

I sound like a fucking salesman, but I promise I'm not affiliated with RGSC or Jiffy in any way lol

Like I said, I actually tried them because of Chopper & come to think of it I am pretty sure it was pointed out at the time (after starting and removing) that I should've got the proper jiffy ones.

Just now, MindSoup said:

If you try to transfer the auto's at this stage you may as well chuck them in the bin. Stick with the jiffys, at least for the auto's.

If they've only been in for 2 days he should be ok to re-pot/transfer, at the very least he could take the bottom off and slowly work his way up, no ?

Stick them in the new pots as is man, don't rip them apart you'll risk completely binning them. You can already see the roots poking out the jiffy, once in new pot they'll grow out and through.
Just keep the soil moiiiist. Not wet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

If they've only been in for 2 days he should be ok to re-pot/transfer, at the very least he could take the bottom off and slowly work his way up, no ?

I'm certainly no expert with auto's, but IME any root stress at a young age causes a huge set back for them, that's why people started using the slotted jiffys for GGing. 

@Hole in the clouds

IMO providing their the legit jiffys then the problem is simply underwatering.

If their not then transplant the photos for sure, but I'd be very hesitant to do the same with the autos. Any potential benefit of being transplanted into a new pot will likely be counteracted by the shock of be pulled from their existing pots and you could well end up with even smaller plants than you will now.

E2A the good thing is you have the photos as well, something to fall back on. I did all autos one year and started them off in those knock off jiffys pots, total disaster think the biggest one was a foot tall lol. I also tried removing the pots from some and they turned out even worse. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

@Clubs

@Rhubarb & Flustered
@Lubdub

@ratdog

@GSZZ

@Slippy One

@MindSoup

Thanks guys they looking much better now  thankfully! 
So basically it was a catalogue of errors I discovered. I should have investigated instead of just staring at them scratching my head! :)

I’d planted them too deep in jiffy’s only 2/3s full then topped them up once they’d sprouted so the roots were only in the bottom 3rd of pots. Then I’d cooked them with the heat mats so most of the soil was completely hydrophobic dust. The pots were soaking but soil was dry. Thinking it was overwatering because the pots were soaking i then made the situation a whole load worse by watering less. Plus all was done bottom watering so the top 2/3s of soil was just staying bone dry. So I’ve followed your advice, I’ve re-jigged the tent and environment potted them up into 9cm pots and they are looking miles happier. 
Got seedling of all ages in there so it was only the oldest that were looking really sick most were unaffected. I reckon they will all be thriving in a week. 
Cheers for all your help. 

large.41B9FF58-407D-4F3F-A2A5-B724117C0215.jpeglarge.2B7625C3-AF25-47B3-9A1E-DF86E9588835.jpeglarge.0F2B085C-F3D8-4DDB-BC4E-92692A020BA4.jpeglarge.C8ECC786-FAD5-4DCD-82A0-DE56D2A46394.jpeg

• Like 4

Now you can relax and enjoy your journey.

Looking forward to following along :hippy:

Edited by Rhubarb & Flustered
  • Like 2