Adding cal mag to overferted plant DWC

NuVista

I am currently in week 6 of a DWC grow and the plants are over ferted..The new leaves are very dark green although the buds seem to be putting weight on.I have held back on the nutes for the past 4 days after a res change ..My question is how long will it take to recover and is it still ok to add the full amount of cal mag? (density cal mag pro)  strain is nirvana gelato ..the plant is huge ,its filled the whole tent 70x70 and looks to be doing well ... should i bee looking at an EC of 1.6-1.8 in flower? ..thats what i averaged the EC at during the whole grow .20L bucket with an EC now sitting at 0.6 as i added 4mil silver bullet.. i think i didnt wash the truncheon or i washed it and didnt rince it correctly few weeks ago..and it read wrong thanks

Hard one to gauge without all the info, but if it were me I'd letting the water in the res tell its tale.

Let the tap run for a min or two, fill up the res with plain tap water and Add JUST enough base nutrients to bring it up 0.2 EC.

If 24 hours later the EC has dropped its likely the plant is doin OK and just being a greedy git, as large DWC plants can often be.

If the EC has stayed the same leave it another 12-24 hours and check again.

If the EC goes up, which is very unlikely but possible u may get 0.1 increase if it truly is well over fed, then remove about 25% of the water and top up with plain water from the tap and check again in 12-24 hours.

The trouble with HUGE plants in DWC is that they hold so much ability to feed themselves purly of their own mass its a pain to balance them out.

This is the mother of a few of my crosses:

large.DSC_0082.JPG.f829105cadbe7a7fb9ed2

She was an OGKZ the I dubbed "The Monster". Had no intention of letting her get that big, she just went mad. But I had similar problems with this one, as I have had with several others like it, but in this case I had to stop EVERYTHING except the base nutrients at week 5 because she had so much mass she could probably have gone without feed in the water for 2 weeks before she started looking hungry.

I always do the same, plain water with a little nutrient just in case and test as regular as u can and watch what happens, then just add or change the water as it unfolds.

But with dark gree leaves and over fed in DWC for me I think you are better off haveing a plant under fed for 24 to 48 hours than risking even more over feeding.

Good luck.

Nice plant there that a Triffid? lol

I changed out the res water yesterday using filtered water and added 20mil of cal mag..thats what the bottle recommends. .you suggesting i rechange the water and add the base nutes leaving out the cal mag  to an EC 0.2?..am using sensi ph balanced bloom.

Edited by NuVista

Ok..i just blead 3/4 the res water and replaced it .. EC 0.4.. ill check it tomorrow and base it. ill meby starve her a few days though ✨

2 hours ago, NuVista said:

Nice plant there that a Triffid? lol

I changed out the res water yesterday using filtered water and added 20mil of cal mag..thats what the bottle recommends. .you suggesting i rechange the water and add the base nutes leaving out the cal mag  to an EC 0.2?..am using sensi ph balanced bloom.

Yh it was an handful that one, had a few similar too over the years.

In short though mate if you think your plants running hot then it probably is. Again I cant be 100% spot on with the info here but I'd steer clear full doses of Cal/Mag at 6 weeks through unless it showing Cal'mag issues. If your PH is good then the base nutrients and or tap water should handle it at this stage if theres no def's showing.

If your using tap water check the EC and up it by 0.2 with base nutrients and check EC at least twice a day. If you have an RO filter then filter the water down to 0.0 and use base nutrients to bring it up to around 0.5 and then up another 0.1 with cal/mag and again check it twice a day.

The Sensi stuff is really good feed, I use it for coco, using atm as it happens for a little grow. I still check my PH when in Hydro tho, you go above that 6.3PH area in bloom and things can get a little iffy.

This was an RDWC grow I had severe troubles with i my earlier days of hydro:

large.DSC_0076.JPG.4e892be0df4f8fe4145cc

Looks nice on the outside, but the buds were very wrong, lost around 60% of thier normal yield because the nutrient uptake was so wrong, to much of some elements and not enough of others. Turned out my PH was so far out of calibration my PH through bloom on this grow had flown to 6.8-7.0 and in turn caused nutrient issues. I was trying to fix it for 3 weeks solid before I had to flush but not being aware the PH pen was off I was barking up the wrong tree. Wasn't until the next grow and I put the PH pen into calibration fluid I noticed it was about 0.7 out of whack :doh:

But I learned a lot whilst trying every hydro hack I could find, and a few weeks after this pic was taken I had more shatter than any one man should posess lol  Prefer my buds thb but it was a nice bit of extract.

Ill play her by sight and let the plant do the talking ..thanks for the info its a learning process ..this is my second grow and i overferted the first one also but am getting the nail in ..slowly ✨