Pot size for photos.

Celtic voyager

Morning all...

All my experience of growing so far consisted of autos, I just used ordinary 12lt pots for them..

This year I'm running mostly photos for the first time for a back garden grow..

What would be the standard pot for them, if there is one.

Would 25Lt be to small, should I go for a 40 to 50lt pot.

How big you want to grow them?

We don't know your back garden , so many things will dictate how big you can grow , so how big a pot you need.

Anything from 5L -50L . 

Are you tending them regular or letting them go it on their own?

Light dep?

Many things to consider . 

So , how big you wanna grow them to?

• Like 1

Just now, CheechChongReturns said:

How big you want to grow them?

We don't know your back garden , so many things will dictate how big you can grow , so how big a pot you need.

Anything from 5L -50L . 

Are you tending them regular or letting them go it on their own?

Light dep?

Many things to consider . 

So , how big you wanna grow them to?

Hi cheechchongreturns

The back garden is fairly big, over an acre.

Not over looked by any neighbours. 

I will be tending to them every day if needs be.

I won't be doing light dep.

Just looking for large plant, to hopefully get decent yields off.

• Like 1

Have you started the plant off yet?

If youre looking to do one big plant , needs to be started off pretty sharp to get the veg time in.

Why not go in the ground?

If I had an acre , unwatched , I.d plant in the ground.

• Like 4

As stated anywhere from 10 to 50 ltr will produce substantial plants. 

What are you growing ?      Some cultivars are naturally smaller than others.

Im in the garden and i normally run 7.5 to 20ltrs   ,  pics in my gallery for indication of plant sizes.    

I will add if your in a windier location a larger pot would assist in lowering risks of being blown over.       

All the best with it mate

• Like 7

2 hours ago, OldFord said:

Im in the garden and i normally run 7.5 to 20ltrs   ,  pics in my gallery for indication of plant sizes.    

I will add if your in a windier location a larger pot would assist in lowering risks of being blown over.       

Hi oldford 

I've got 4 kush plants on the go.

Hindu kush 

Sexxpot 

3 weeks old, do well in the tunnel. 

I've got 25lt pots here as it is, so I'll use them.

Edited by Celtic voyager
Spelling
  • Like 1

We haven’t grown in containers for almost 10 years outdoors but back in the day we would use 80 litre pots for decent size plants that always produced well. I’d definitely go with bigger pots rather than small especially if growing in your back garden - I mean you might as well grow a monster! 

gallery_62088_5706_75050.jpg

• Like 9

Can you not put them in the ground as @cheechchongreturns mentioned? Less hassle 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OldFord said:

What size pots have you found is best for autos I have a couple of brocks and a couple RGS autos on the go Thanks sorry for highjacking the thread 

3 hours ago, stayup4ever said:

Can you not put them in the ground as @cheechchongreturns mentioned? Less hassle 

The reasoning behind the pots is, just in case I had to move them due to server weather, or some other reasons.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CheechChongReturns said:

Have you started the plant off yet?

If youre looking to do one big plant , needs to be started off pretty sharp to get the veg time in.

Why not go in the ground?

If I had an acre , unwatched , I.d plant in the ground.

The photos are 3 weeks old, and in a tunnel at the moment 

I like the idea of pots, just in case I have to move the for some reason.

• Like 1

If moving them may be on the cards , maybe 25L is better than 50L . 

50L full, wet with plant will be heavy .

• Like 1

There's many pro's and con's regarding ground or pots, and if you think about it for long enough there's no reason why you couldn't try the two or either

I wonder though about the size of the plants going out ,when they go out regarding the forecast and what size you want them to be. They may get huge and top heavy, or just too heavy, tall for a small pot. 

The other thing that few folk mention is, compost is often shitty enough, might have 1/3 chipped up pallets , even sort of stagnant in the bag, especially stuff with '' extra/added water retention''. If the compost is heavy in consistency and does hold a lot of water then a large pot might not dry in a drought, and the plants stay yellow, or with red stems and scabby if there's a lit of rain. They can recover too. You can always move them up a pot size if they're not gone into flower.

A smaller pot will cause root restriction and can sometimes trigger a plant to flower earlier. 

Pots get warm under the sun and often dry too fast, but there are ways to manage that like a bottle with a few pinholes and mushed up wet cardboard. You can find places that aren't arable, too wet and can't be used for growing but if you put some containers on a pallet the plants are elevated and can be moved into a puddle or drain to get a drink. 

You might find a big old tree that's been topped or broken down a bit, and could be room to nestle a big pot into the tree ,maybe fill it half way, plant some auto seed and partially cover the top with cellophane for a few weeks to have a warmer ,sheltered environment. 

I'd go with 20 litre to 15 very minimum. Pots can get rooted into the ground.If left on the bare ground, and you can't really move them or you disturb the plant.

• Like 2

On 5-5-2023 at 1:33 AM, Celtic voyager said:

Would 25Lt be to small, should I go for a 40 to 50lt pot.

bigger pot = bigger plant and more water buffer....

gallery_6678_2947_843826.jpg

• Like 3