Surf fishing

*DJ*

7 hours ago, twigs said:

what rig do you use for bass and whiting @*DJ* 

I occasionally sea spin using lures, jig heads, but want to get into floating for laziness!

just got a zebco pier rod, it’s tiny lol but thinking perfect for dangling from kayak for mackerel 

:yinyang:

I use a single size 0. 3 ( for sqids) or a 0.1  (for rag or lug)

on a 2ft 15lb trace, about 3ft up from the 5oz gripper lead, very basic, probably not the best, but it cops me a fish or 2, :yep:

DJ...

• Like 1

Didnt have much on today, thought id chuck a bzit out for a hr or 3, 1 question, why do people walk along a emty beach, see the fella firing 6 oz grippers about, and sit 10ft behind him? Thats rwice in 2 days iv had to explain its not the best gaff to sit, the have to sit through some prick explaining that i dont own the beach, thats 100% right i dont, neither do i know how to remove leads from someones skulllol i honestly believe confrontation makes some peoples day, :doh: 

No fish yet

DJ...

• Like 1

I lost a lead on the cast at Chesil once, I was experimenting with using 60lb mainline braid straight through to the rig body, I'd not had any issues until it failed.  I fucking shit myself as the beach was quite busy. Don't know where that lead landed but I didn't see any air ambulances so presumably everyone was ok. :wassnnme:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

I lost a lead on the cast at Chesil once, I was experimenting with using 60lb mainline braid straight through to the rig body, I'd not had any issues until it failed.  I fucking shit myself as the beach was quite busy. Don't know where that lead landed but I didn't see any air ambulances so presumably everyone was ok. :wassnnme:

Eye eye captain, how are ya?  

I won't fish where there's people, I'm to clumsy, lol its not a busy beach even in summer, and I tuck mysell right in the rocks, out the way up the end of a cove, but that's not good enough, people aye? :doh:

DJ...

Still alive dude and keeping on with the keeping on thing like. :yep:

I've not been shore fishing for a while now...Geographical location is a bit inconvenient really with the cost of fuel, it cost about 120 quid to get to Chesil and back at one point and you're as likely to blank as to catch. 

• Like 1

That's a shame mate, I love my fishing, no where nearer? It would drive me mad not going,

lol i blank far more than i catch, so far I'm 4, for loads of crabs and 1 small bass, this yr, it can only get better, :g: I keep looking at sand eels are they a all purpose bait? Been on squid and worm, I think I need a change?

DJ..

large.20230509_193708.jpgAnyone know what this is? It sort of bobbed in and washed up infront of me today? :unsure: looks like aliens,

DJ....

Edited by *DJ*
  • Like 2

Just now, twigs said:

echinoid - fossiled sea urchin mate :yep: 

Thanks @twigs

Just now, Boojum said:

A dead sea urchin.

And @Boojum

Iv been wondering what it realy was for hrs lol

DJ...

• Like 2

that's a peach of a find mate. reminds me of holidays in Cornwall as a kid, the shops at the seaside used to have loads of big baskets of shells outside for sale for the tourists, i remember my mum having some big pink sea urchins, fuck me, i'm going back 40 years now  lol

• Like 1

I don't  know how it caught my eye, I was well up the beach, I thought it was a seaweed sack thing at first, when I reeled in, it was at my feet, it feels like sued, but not, funny like, it's going on my windowsill with my 3 wise monkeys and my stone with a hole through it,

DJ....

Edited by *DJ*
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, *DJ* said:

That's a shame mate, I love my fishing, no where nearer? It would drive me mad not going,

lol i blank far more than i catch, so far I'm 4, for loads of crabs and 1 small bass, this yr, it can only get better, :g: I keep looking at sand eels are they a all purpose bait? Been on squid and worm, I think I need a change?

DJ..

Still do plenty of coarse fishing mate, much more local. 

I was supposed to be on a charter boat yesterday, but the skipper's boat got a bit broken/partially sunk a while back and he's not got a new one yet. 

Bait wise maybe try crab this time of year.

Should be Smoothhounds and Spurdogs round your way. Little baits, 50p size. Chinu hook. Pulley rig. Or look into dongle rigs, which are pretty much a pulley with a hair rig. 

• Like 1

Il look in the tackle shop tomorrow, see if they have crabs, tbh the old fella in there looks a bit gippy, but I don't think it's crabs, :wassnnme:iv seen bluey? And them sand eels, in the freezer next to the squid, 

I did give the pully a go last yr, I found it a bit tangly, it wasnt working most times I brought it back  lol it could have been my hook line was to thin, I don't know, I'm using a single hook flapper, with the same line (50lb leader, 15lb flurocarbon hook links) and it don't tangle half as much, fook knows lol

DJ