Tent or no tent?

iShouldCoCo

Help me settle an argument with myself. I have a built in wardrobe (100x100x260 cm) that currently has an 80x80x160 cm tent in. I have four photoperiods ready to flower and an auto drying in the spare tent.

I am just about to swap out the old Secret Jardin DR80 in the wardrobe with a new equivalent Black Orchid (bargain at £39) because the old tent is tatty. Anyway, should I bother with the tent in there? It's a right faff to get a tent in... It's already painted white... the main thing is humidity and damp walls... and light leaks. But a bit of bathroom paint and a drape can sort those...

Tent or no tent?

• Like 5

It's a no-brainer. No tent. With 260 height you can grow some lovely tall sativas and have room for everything up top.

• Like 4

Hah I am easily swayed. I'll put the old tent into 'long term storage' and use this new tent for drying or vegging or males if I need.

Right then. I think I might run it 'ghetto' for a trial flowering run and see what I need to do. This is likely going to be a very permanent thing so maybe I'll do it right with underfloor heating and fancy paint when the jars are full (famous stoner words).

I'll just sort a drape out for it tomorrow and off we go. There's already shelf fixings at 2m for fan, CF and light hanging.

• Like 6

Yeah, no tent. Wardrobe sounds ready to go ... spare from germ/drying etc :)

• Like 2

It's a brilliant space to grow in, I'm jealous. I've got a few tall cupboards like that but only about 45cm deep and full of handbags and shoes. No way she'd sacrifice that space though. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Unless someone has been in this position then its difficult to advise, I think @porky has a wardrobe grow 

Me personally... Keep that tent inside, you're protecting your plants from all sorted that could get through the gaps around the doors, ive got 2 tents inside 2 wardrobes and it's the best thing ever, I don't even worry about venting away or humidity rising. I find using soil keeps it lower than coco would and a good filter just pushing the air out into the wardrobe which will escape through those gaps the insects and thingymajigs could get through.. 

Anyway where are you getting a 80x80 for £39 as I'm thinking of swapping a 50x90 for one 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Darknight420710 said:

Unless someone has been in this position then its difficult to advise, I think @porky has a wardrobe grow 

Me personally... Keep that tent inside, you're protecting your plants from all sorted that could get through the gaps around the doors, ive got 2 tents inside 2 wardrobes and it's the best thing ever, I don't even worry about venting away or humidity rising. I find using soil keeps it lower than coco would and a good filter just pushing the air out into the wardrobe which will escape through those gaps the insects and thingymajigs could get through.. 

Anyway where are you getting a 80x80 for £39 as I'm thinking of swapping a 50x90 for one 

Aha yes, that's the kind of thinking that led me to arguing with myself. I did buy a passive vent with an insect screen for the door. It's been a while since I had to deal with the borg... I think it should be OK though but I'll remember to remind you to remind me you told me so...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darknight420710 said:

dunno but they are £49 on Amzn

• Like 2

Picked up some Black Orchid tents on fleaBay last year for next to nowt, brand new. Nice tents! 

Main problem with a growdrobe (or cabinet, like mine) is smell and light leaks. Had to rig up some thick mylar with velcro round the edges to seal the inside of the doors. Tent is just much easier, no condensation to worry about either.

With that size of drobe, you could fit a 90x90x200 tent no? Or taller of you can find one...

Edited by Crow River
Spelling!
  • Like 2

If you want to keep the tent for some reasons, could take a 100x100x200 tent, cut the metal tubes to make it fit the wardrobe, then put fan and even filter (there's a good diy topic somewhere here about making a filter inline with a bucket) above.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Crow River said:

Picked up some Black Orchid tents on fleaBay last year for next to nowt, brand new. Nice tents! 

Main problem with a growdrobe (or cabinet, like mine) is smell and light leaks. Had to rig up some thick mylar with velcro round the edges to seal the inside of the doors. Tent is just much easier, no condensation to worry about either.

With that size of drobe, you could fit a 90x90x200 tent no? Or taller of you can find one...

The seal around the door is what I have been mulling over most. Smell isn't much of an issue, I do have my CF venting into the ceiling in there and nobody comes into the house who would be bothered by the smell of our meds. Also no near neighbours fwiw. This drobe will be mainly used for flowering, I have another teeny drobe for seedlings, clones and early veg. Bonsai mothers too perhaps.

I hunted high and low for a 90x90x200 - the Prodigy one looked the best but struggled to find one. Speaking of Prodigy, I did find some real bargain large tents on ebay while hunting for the 90x90 and was very tempted to go large.

The main issue with this plan is venting, none of the side ports would be usable due to clearances so no chaining up the drying tent to the cf.

It's also a massive pita to erect a 80x80 in there, the doorway isn't wide enough to slide in - the 90x90 would be next level awks.

• Like 3

id keep the tent, as its easier to maintain an environment with the tent's better sealing

mystic

• Like 1

I got an old wardrobe, and I'm planning on using it instead of a tent, because the room is cool enough and the wardrobe sort of hides by itself whereas a tent might not feel like furniture. 

I'm worried about the cracks ,seal on the door too. I might get an old tent and cut a strip or flap, and staple that like a second door inside the wardrobe. Aluminum tape looks like good stuff for sealing the corners and joinings. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is losing sleep over this dilemma, let me tell you that the ladies are flowering in the tent but not in the tent in the wardrobe. I plan to get these ladies done and then sort the wardrobe out properly. I am enjoying the tent being accessible for now :yep:

• Like 2