Heat Mat and Inkbird ADVICE PLEASE

MARLO-HI

Hi guys can anyone give me some advice on a  heat mat  and thermostat for a 70x70x160cm grow tent please?

i was hoping to find heat mat that would be 60cm x 60cm but no luck,alternatively I could use 2 60 x30cm heat mats,i was wondering if any of the inkbird thermostats can run 2 heat mats at the same time?

I see there is one model with heating & cooling  ITC-308  (and another inkbird ITC-306T with dual heating (day & night)

does anyone know which would be my best option or if there is even a thermostat that can control 2 heat mats at the same time maybe with 2 probes?

cheers for any help/opinions guys

• Like 1

Due to the low power consumption of heat mats I plug 3 of them into the same Inkbird via a multi adapter to give me full floor coverage in my nursery tent :) 

Check the power rating of the one you have or are getting,

i think they can handle 2kW iirc

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

Just now, Shumroom said:

Due to the low power consumption of heat mats I plug 3 of them into the same Inkbird via a multi adapter to give me full floor coverage in my nursery tent :) 

Check the power rating of the one you have or are getting,

i think they can handle 2kW iirc

Atb

cheers shumroom do you put the pots directly onto the mats or in a tray on top of the mats? I will be using fabric pots mostly,cheers for your reply back

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Clubs said:

I use a 50 x 50 mat in a 75x75, works fine for up to 4 small plants.

nice one,will look into a 50 x 50 then,cheers.

what temps do you set yours at? and is it ok to put the fabric pots directly onto heat mats or should they be in a tray on top of heat mat?

cheers

• Like 2

Look up Romberg Skinnyheat. They do a 55x55cm mat. I've had a couple going on the same inkbird two years and no probs yet.

• Like 4

In one area I use garland trays to cover the floor on top of the mats, 

in another I just use plastic plant pot saucers. 

It's useful to have something that will catch the extra water and there will be plenty with fabric pots. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MARLO-HI said:

nice one,will look into a 50 x 50 then,cheers.

what temps do you set yours at? and is it ok to put the fabric pots directly onto heat mats or should they be in a tray on top of heat mat?

cheers

Definitely use a tray or saucer to avoid water coming into contact with the electrics. The mats are splash-proof but you never know. Try to use a tray/saucer with a flat base so it makes good contact with the mat. 23 to 24C seems to work well for me. I put the probe in the medium so it sits near the base of the pot. With plastic pots the probe can go through a hole in the base but in fabric pots you can either bury it deep via the soil surface or make a small hole near the bottom. 

• Like 2

I’ve just done exactly as you describe with two mats bought as a kit off the bay described as:

Inkbird Temp. Controller Only heating Thermostats ITC-306T With Metal Probe + 2PCS 21w Lerway Seedlins Heating Mat Heat Pad for Seed Germination

I sat the two mats side by side on some insulation board and put 60x60 floor tile on top of them. Then I put a 55x55 tray on top of the tile. This lets you take the tray in and out without the heat mats springing back into a coil. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hole in the clouds said:

out without the heat mats springing back into a coil. 

Once they've been heated up with a flat tray on them, they remain flat and won't roll back up. :yep:

• Like 4

I too find it useful to put ceramic tiles on top of the heat mat. They store heat and help to even out the temperature difference between lights on and off. Heat mat's just a standard on off feaBay.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clubs said:

Once they've been heated up with a flat tray on them, they remain flat and won't roll back up. :yep:

Oh right that’s good to know they buggers when new! lol 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 10:42 PM, Hole in the clouds said:

I’ve just done exactly as you describe with two mats bought as a kit off the bay described as:

Inkbird Temp. Controller Only heating Thermostats ITC-306T With Metal Probe + 2PCS 21w Lerway Seedlins Heating Mat Heat Pad for Seed Germination

I sat the two mats side by side on some insulation board and put 60x60 floor tile on top of them. Then I put a 55x55 tray on top of the tile. This lets you take the tray in and out without the heat mats springing back into a coil. 

is that the one on ebay for £39.99? and you can run 2 heat mats at the same time? cheers for any info,appreciate it

Just now, MARLO-HI said:

is that the one on ebay for £39.99? and you can run 2 heat mats at the same time? cheers for any info,appreciate it

Yes that’s it. Picture of blue inkbird and two mats. Bit cheaper as it’s on sale by looks. I paid 45 off a different seller. It has a 2 gang socket so each mat has a plug both plug into inkbird. Inkbird has one temp probe. It turns both mats on/off at same time. Doing a fantastic job I’ve set it at 24 and root zone stays pretty much there lights on drops down to 21 minimum at lights out but that’s in an outbuilding. 

Just now, Hole in the clouds said:

Yes that’s it. Picture of blue inkbird and two mats. Bit cheaper as it’s on sale by looks. I paid 45 off a different seller. It has a 2 gang socket so each mat has a plug both plug into inkbird. Inkbird has one temp probe. It turns both mats on/off at same time. Doing a fantastic job I’ve set it at 24 and root zone stays pretty much there lights on drops down to 21 minimum at lights out but that’s in an outbuilding.