Does Anyone Know Much About Dimmers?

MindSoup

Hello Chums 

Got a refurbished 1st gen Par+ 280w unit from @Ledgrowlights-Adam a little while ago, it's a nice bit of kit and came at a bargain price. Unfortunately I've noticed that with the dimmer below a certain point the light doesn't come back on once the timer starts sending power. I'm using it in a 60x60 so obviously keeping it dimmed down is extremely important, it's major overkill but gives me very consistent coverage and will still be of use when I get a bigger space together.

I did try and email Adam but he hasn't got back to me, probably got more important things to worry about at the moment. So I thought I'd ask you guys for advice on how to go about fixing the problem, I suspect I'll need a new dimmer, but I'm not sure about compatibility etc. 

• Like 1

I think this is to do with the driver rather than the dimmer.

I have Highlight 220s that work the same way,

but they have to be turned almost off on the dial for this to happen.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Oh right, so might not be able to do much about it then, it is pretty close to all the way down TBF, so hopefully I can work around it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Chums 

Reminds me off dog food in the 70s :)

I don't know the Par+ 280w, but you could Try with gentle figures, turning the dimmer knob up till light comes on, remember a leccy telling me that a long while ago, something to do with Amps/volts getting through the dimmer. :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I've noticed

mine is a PAR+v1 550W, when the dimmer is turned right down, and you turn off the power n back on again, 1 of the 4 panels doesn't light up until you turn the dimmer up, then it comes on & its alright after that you can turn it up/down & it stays on n dims etc. its when the power goes off n back on again the one panel doesn't come on until I turn the dimmer

slightly annoying but it doesn't really affect me as the power is always well above minimum when the unit is turned on/off

its not exactly the same (problem) as you have, but its another dimmer issue with the PAR+v1 that I just wanted to mention, now you mentioned yours like...

mystic

• Like 2

Yeah sounds like a similar issue, like you say I'll just have make sure I don't turn it down too low.