making the switch (auto to photo)

5Lip

4 hours ago, Bud Baker said:

I started with photo regs and still run photo regs, 15 years later. Done a few autos and the bud was sub par so sort of put me off a few years ago. Fems are okay I suppose, I just don’t like that if you find a keeper, that you could potentially have finicky genes in your hands for cloning ect. Photo regs for the win in my opinion.

So as far as I understand photo regs needs sexing right? my grow space is very small (2 plants max) so how would / could that work for me? 

4 hours ago, Bud Baker said:

Also with autos just say you find a banging plant and it’s good bud, the next seed from the same pack could be some bum weed that wasn’t worth laying down 12 weeks of effort and time. No consistency , you find a reg keeper , that’s yours!

Really? never knew that, have indeed found “the one” for me which is also why I’m finding it hard to make the switch

5 minutes ago, 5Lip said:

So as far as I understand photo regs needs sexing right? my grow space is very small (2 plants max) so how would / could that work for me? 

Plant 4 seeds, keep them small until they show sex. If you get 1 female grow it bigger, if you get more than 2 female pick the best looking to grow, or use smaller pots and grow them all

Just now, Openairbud said:

Plant 4 seeds, keep them small until they show sex. If you get 1 female grow it bigger, if you get more than 2 female pick the best looking to grow, or use smaller pots and grow them all

And how would that be more beneficial than buying a pack of fems and being sure?

• Like 1

Errr, not really sure to be quite honest, one thing maybe the genetics "seem" more robust ie don't Hermie as readily. I've had a few instances with fems in the past that have sprouted balls early on in flower and giving me a few unwanted seeds. Also I just like the sound of the reg seeds I get compared to fem lines. Most subby seeds are regs for example.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 5Lip said:

And how would that be more beneficial than buying a pack of fems and being sure?

A clone from a fem seed will be finicky 

Edited by Bud Baker
2 hours ago, 5Lip said:

Do 1 plant scrog instead, buy 3 seeds, one must be a lady. Until 3 grows in when you find something special in a seed and decide to setup a small nursery in a cupboard to keep a mum of said special plant for more amazing buds. 

I've kept femmed mums for years, they're fine. You might see some hermie but most are sound, maybe depends on the breeders.. You'll know after 8 weeks if she's a he/she, then you're fine. :yep:

• Like 2
On 30/04/2023 at 10:22 PM, Openairbud said:

Plant 4 seeds, keep them small until they show sex.

would you need to flower them to get the sex, or can you tell for sure with the pre-flowers? (in veg)

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

You can sex them in veg, it'll take 4 weeks + (average) for them to show.

20 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

would you need to flower them to get the sex, or can you tell for sure with the pre-flowers? (in veg)

mystic

Edited by Openairbud
  • Like 1