5 year old trim or shake

moley27

Hi, I have some trim that is 5 years old. Do I need to decarboxylation  it. I intend making edibles from the shake 

Is it too old or like a fine wine it matures with age ?

Thanks for any advice

M

How was it stored?  Heat, UV, and oxygen break down the cannabinoids.  If it was in a sealed plastic bag in a cool dark place, it may still be viable.  

After five years, it is probably mostly decarboxylated, but you can check a small sample to find out for sure.

My guess is that the concentrate will be high in CBN and sedative after that long.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Graywolf said:

you can check a small sample to find out for sure.

how does one do that?

mystic

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

how does one do that?

mystic

I suggest extracting a small sample and decarboxylating it at 250F.  You can tell its decarboxylation state by the CO2 bubble production.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Graywolf said:

You can tell its decarboxylation state by the CO2 bubble production.  

thanks but I dont know what that would look like as im not familiar with the technique

mystic

@mysticriver when I do all this stuff I keep it so basic it's criminal, iso wash evaporated off near an air vent with a tiny usb fan blowing over it, once evaped scrape it all up with a blade and deposit onto a bit of greaseproof paper, oven at 120 ish, paper on a baking tray and a torch to shine on the paper so you can see exactly what's going on, after a few minutes you'll see 'large' bubbles, quite vigorous, that's the iso purging, so I believe anyway, after some more minutes the large bubbles are replaced by much smaller tiny bubbles, also vigorous, this is the actual decarb happening, so I believe anyway, and eventually the small bubbles stop meaning it's ready. I've seen people say this all takes an hour or so but I find it's never more than 20mins max.  I put the paper in the fridge for a bit so I can manipulate the oil into a shape then I put it in the freezer until I need it, either in something edible or I just neck a chunk, I don't bother with capsules, swallow a chunk with water followed by a cuppa, comes up quicker, have fun :chef:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

thanks but I dont know what that would look like as im not familiar with the technique

mystic

Here is a link to the technique, but if you put non-decarboxylated concentrate, on a hot knife, you can tell whether it produces fizzy bubbles as it melts and vaporizes.  The link shows pictures of different types of bubbles, so that you can see the difference.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/10-the-alchemist-resource/10-1-decarboxylation/10-1-4-decarboxylation-101/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Should Know Betterer said:

@mysticriver when I do all this stuff I keep it so basic it's criminal, iso wash evaporated off near an air vent with a tiny usb fan blowing over it, once evaped scrape it all up with a blade and deposit onto a bit of greaseproof paper, oven at 120 ish, paper on a baking tray and a torch to shine on the paper so you can see exactly what's going on, after a few minutes you'll see 'large' bubbles, quite vigorous, that's the iso purging, so I believe anyway, after some more minutes the large bubbles are replaced by much smaller tiny bubbles, also vigorous, this is the actual decarb happening, so I believe anyway, and eventually the small bubbles stop meaning it's ready. I've seen people say this all takes an hour or so but I find it's never more than 20mins max.  I put the paper in the fridge for a bit so I can manipulate the oil into a shape then I put it in the freezer until I need it, either in something edible or I just neck a chunk, I don't bother with capsules, swallow a chunk with water followed by a cuppa, comes up quicker, have fun :chef:

Yup!  That is about it.  The link that I posted shows some temperature and time curves.

• Like 1