Minimum temps to plant out?

Punk#1

The weather in daytime is deceptively warm right now, but noticing night time temps are dropping down to 2c at the moment where I am so much too cold to plant out imo.

What night temps do you consider it warm enough for planting out? Can't see it getting above 10c for at least over a month here which is taking the piss

• Like 3

Depends on size you plant out tbh.

Endweek of may , first week of June is a good guide for seedlings or small plants. 

Anything over 5/6 nodes high. Or over 4 weeks old should be able to hold its own with day temps of 13 and night temps of 6 . But it might slow them a little while the temps increase. 

Also, some plots don't get as cold , depending on cover, protection from surrounding growth and wind chill. 

Edited by CheechChongReturns
  • Like 6

To minimise the risk of stunting your plants you want your night temps very close to double figures imo getting out early in colder temps doesnt give you a head start in terms of plant size and can cause more harm than good..

Mid May plant out seems to be favourable but later plant outs are never far behind :yep:

• Like 8

I dunno I've planted out in April they grow so big just obviously dnt get growing that fast instead put energy into the roots instead so when the nice weather arrives they explode into big trees.

Beginning of May same no issues.

Slugs tho are abundant after April showers so pellets or whatever you use is a must.

It is warm during the day, not much wind either at the moment. But cool night time temps, certainly not double figures.

I've just planted out a Joshua clone, so I'll find out if it's too cold I suppose... lol 

• Like 4

I've had very healthy plants grow through a light frost,plants very small and some a few weeks old. Some strains aren't so tough ,but most probably are.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Crow River said:

It is warm during the day, not much wind either at the moment. But cool night time temps, certainly not double figures.

I've just planted out a Joshua clone, so I'll find out if it's too cold I suppose... lol 

i think your clone will flower.......or is she a late plant ?

clones are older as seedlings.....

semi-foto clones better plant out after 20 may.....

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DutchFox said:

i think your clone will flower.......or is she a late plant ?

clones are older as seedlings.....

semi-foto clones better plant out after 20 may.....

She was already starting to flower indoors (showing lots of pre-flowers), that's why I put her out. Wasn't supposed to go out for nearly another month... Otherwise I'd have had to flower her inside.

We have more than 15 hours of daylight currently. She was getting approximately 20 hours indoors. If she flowers, that's okay.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

A month or two ago I was on my daily blunt walk and walked past this bungalow that had these big glass domes over their plants in their front garden, I thought at the time "Genius", i wonder if they could be used now but just for evenings/nights/early mornings and take them off in the days.

All in the context of growing in your own garden of course, I'm just thinking out loud while high ignore me lol

• Like 5

Could make some cloche type things with polytunnel type plastic, with mesh around the sides. Should still protect against frost, but allow airflow so won’t get too hot..?

• Like 4

Down the allotment if I have to protect a young plant from cold I either use horticultural fleece, or half a 5 litre plastic water bottle as a cloche. Take the cap off and it allows some airflow. You can prop it on something to leave an air gap if there's concern it will overheat. Not as fancy as glass domes, but does the trick. :yep:

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

I use cut down plastic bottles for Autos when they go out for a week-10days . They out grow it by then, but I find it helps them bed in after transplantation. 

They are already 10 days old and can tolerate May sun.

Come 2nd week of May the temps are usually ok .

I don't put photos out until last week of May/first week of June . 

Temps are ideal .

If I was going for huge plants, I'd do the extra work topping indoors , germ start of March and plant last week of May. 

• Like 3

I'd much rather wait until its warmer than go through all the faff tbh, I mean what is the gain for plants that will still finish the same time no matter when they go out? Aside from autos of course but as we know there prone to stunting through stress.. I think if your growing in pots then possibly you can get away with a bit more, moving them around in cold nights, using a greenhouse and so forth but growing straight in the mud like I do I just think its best to wait a little. Roots don't develop well in freezing cold ground as we know leading to stunted and weak plants, not good when there out in the wild and at the mercy of mama nature and everything she throws at them.. my opinion of course.. ive grown big ass trees as some of you have seen but there a fuking ache to maintain, strap up and support.. sure there great to look at and they inflate our ego's but there not practical, well that's my experience anyway.. much rather smaller squat bushy multi headed bitches that I can manage much.. I could plant out in June and still grow a monster if I wanted.. let the ground warm up if your going straight in the mud I say, but its just my opinion folks

I'm looking for strong healthy plants with a good solid root structure that can last the course and cross the line of victory :yinyang:

• Like 4