Fan & Filter Position in LED setup

Caly

Hi All,

I'm currently rebuilding my grow room, I've gone with 6 array 4 LEDs, I was advised that I should reposition my fan & filter to be placed at the bottom and intake (passive) at the top so to try and draw some of the heat from the LEDs across the plants, so I'm just wondering if people are doing this does it make a noticable difference? I'm tight on floor space and would accomodate this configuration if it was worth it, otherwise I'll put the fan & filter up high out of the way.

Thanks

• Like 1

I didn’t even try having my cf up high when I changed over from HPS,

it went straight onto the floor :) 

It’s easy to train plants to make full use of the space.

If space is tight,

look into inline filters,

you can DIY an inline filter :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

If space on the floor is tight you could always have your extraction fan and CF outside of the tent. Personally I keep mine at the top and have the circulation fan(s) at the top pointing down. LED's, or rather the transformers, do put out heat so you could have them sat on the top of your lights. 

• Like 3

I used to have a fan above the led blowing down onto the driver. But since getting 2x 40w Tube Heaters there was no need for it. I have my tent in my bedroom.

large.20230419_030747.jpg

Shame you didn't consider these new lights, I've not seen a better ppfd spread to Watts, and they are very good price with £30 off on the big river atm

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

f space on the floor is tight you could always have your extraction fan and CF outside of the tent

I think I’ll do this thanks :) but how does that actually work because surely the filter needs to be in the tent to scrub the air as it’s pulled through?

When you say transformers, do you mean the ballasts?

Edited by Caly
  • Like 1

large.P4160688.JPGlarge.P3080603.JPGlarge.P2200559.jpglarge.P2200561.jpgTo position the filter outside the tent whilst maintaining the correct airflow (sucking through it, not blowing out of it) you need an Inline filter. DIY versions of this have been cropping up due to the price of the inlines and also being able to utilise the existing filter. 

The filter goes into some sort of airtight enclosure, I used an airtight storage box but it can be as simple as a bucket with lid. 

The fan connects to the enclosure / filter outlet and pulls the air out of the enclosure through the filter. 

The input to the enclosure connects to the grow space. 

Works absolutely fine and a great spacesaver. I also have a fan directly over the light fixture blowing straight down. 

• Like 9