Peat moss

Hey everyone,

Accidentally bought a bag of peat moss instead of the sphagnum moss I needed to make a moss pole and for air layering for my monstera. It's not worth returning as the postage to return is half what the bag cost so may as well put it to use in the g.room rather than waste it

I know root riots and jiffys are peat based so assume it would probably be good for propagation or for bonsai mums. Unsure if it needs any treatment as its acidic from what I understand or if its good to go from the bag. Tried searching but got countless unhelpful articles relating mostly to compost growing

It's sphagnum Irish peat moss by elixir Gardens, and will be potted on into coco

Any info regarding if it needs any special treatment or about peat/coco mixes would be appreciated!

TIA

BDr

Pretty sure you need to buffer it with lime, but I'm not sure on the exact amount needed. Pretty much all commercial potting soil was just buffered peat with some slow release fertiliser until all the pear free thing came about, so with a couple of additives you'll have yourself a decent potting mix suitable for all stages of a grow. 

• Like 1