Quantum board vs strips

Trashedagain77

Hi all, 

I'm close to buying some LEDs and wanted the experts opinions on which is better a quantum board or strip configuration (same power i.e 300w). Thanks in advance. Peace. 

• Like 2

Strips I'd say, better light spread really. The Lumantek ATS Pro 300W looks to have a clever configuration so I'd be looking at something like that personally. Not too bad price-wise either. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Trashedagain77 said:

Hi all, 

I'm close to buying some LEDs and wanted the experts opinions on which is better a quantum board or strip configuration (same power i.e 300w). Thanks in advance. Peace. 

I swapped to LED a few years ago. I bought a couple of daisy chained quantum boards (200W) & recently added a two bar strip lamp (125W).

In my opinion I'd buy quality. What LED chips, how many chips & what driver is running it? Obviously finances come into it. How much can I afford to spend and running costs? A 600W LED uses the same electricity as a 600W HPS (or it should or someone is telling porkys!).

Look for expandable systems, both decent strips and quantum boards support this.

300W of LED should cope with a 1m square area easily.

• Like 5

I'd go with bars, they have advantages over the boards, there's a recent thread on this. 

Easier to get what waste heat the fixture does create down to the canopy with a fan above, useful in the colder months. Yo-Yos can be strung easier. The bars position can be adjusted to suit requirements on some fixtures. 

Lighter possibly? 

• Like 1

I prefer boards over strips I’ve run both and just boards are better for my space than strips 

• Like 5

I have a board and plan to upgrade to a Lumatek ATS Pro 200w for a 60x60 tent.

I definitely don't regret buying the board as I can use it for mothers or clones one day.

At the time of my purchase my old light died mid grow and I had to buy a light ASAP, so I got the best 100w light for the money at the time.

If I wasn't forced into buying one so suddenly I would have definitely saved up a bit more and got a light with better spread with bars/strips.

• Like 3

Lights from strips allow you to blow air downwards onto tthe canopy to reuse some of the heat. The square-shaped Lumatek ATS 200w and 300w allow it as well.

• Like 4

As long as it lights your space properly I doubt it matters really. I swopped 1kw of hid for 630w of led on a board and it smashes it, strips would have probably done the same. Benefits of the board are they leave more room at the top of the tent for your extraction setup and they also act like a little panel heater to keep your canopy warm. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Trashedagain77 said:

which is better

id go bars -

what is the space that you've got to grow in?

mystic

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

I swapped to LED a few years ago. I bought a couple of daisy chained quantum boards (200W) & recently added a two bar strip lamp (125W).

In my opinion I'd buy quality. What LED chips, how many chips & what driver is running it? Obviously finances come into it. How much can I afford to spend and running costs? A 600W LED uses the same electricity as a 600W HPS (or it should or someone is telling porkys!).

Look for expandable systems, both decent strips and quantum boards support this.

300W of LED should cope with a 1m square area easily.

i have just got the ones working off the digital ballast 600w same as the hps but there suppose to be the equivalent of a 1000w double ended hps 

• Like 2

On 04/04/2023 at 4:02 PM, mimosa man said:

i have just got the ones working off the digital ballast 600w same as the hps but there suppose to be the equivalent of a 1000w double ended hps 

I agree £/per lumen. LEDs can and do outplay HID bulbs. IMHO my 325W (at the socket) setup is close to a 600W HPS and will last a lot longer.

What annoys me is the naming policy some brands of LED lights observe. 'The 1000W <<Itsert name here>>' that actually draws 200W from the socket. Some of the lights (not all) are perfectly serviceable, so why the misleading marketing?

The first LED I used claimed to be a 1000W light. It actually drew 120W. It was a 'blurple' with a noisy fan. It grew a half decent crop but compared to a modern decent LED it wasn't comparable (Honda Melody < Honda CBR sort of shit!).

I think things are generally improving regarding this aspect of advertising along with the buyers awareness.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

I agree £/per lumen. LEDs can and do outplay HID bulbs. IMHO my 325W (at the socket) setup is close to a 600W HPS and will last a lot longer.

What annoys me is the naming policy some brands of LED lights observe. 'The 1000W <<Itsert name here>>' that actually draws 200W from the socket. Some of the lights (not all) are perfectly serviceable, so why the misleading marketing?

The first LED I used claimed to be a 1000W light. It actually drew 120W. It was a 'blurple' with a noisy fan. It grew a half decent crop but compared to a modern decent LED it wasn't comparable (Honda Melody < Honda CBR sort of shit!).

I think things are generally improving regarding this aspect of advertising along with the buyers awareness.

Hid 600 watt pulls 660 watt from socket so even more savings.peace Goohfy.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

i haven’t used led before mate these say 720w which must be what the ballast puts out on super lumens 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mimosa man said:

i haven’t used led before mate these say 720w which must be what the ballast puts out on super lumens 

Check the documentation. If is has decent chips & a decent driver (ballast) & it pulls the wattage it claims you are probably on to a winner.

• Like 2

Either or to be honest. 

As long as it uses Samsung LM301H diodes as the main leds and something like osram (avoid epistar) for far red and blue spectrum then you are good. 

I use boards and strips. 

I have achieved both amazing results of 2-2.5 grams per watt with boards and  0.5 grams per watt with the strips. 

That has happened the other way around too. 

Just have to dial in the environment and brightness levels vs distance from canopy with the strain your growing and you will do well. 

• Like 2