Dilemma

latitude54

I germinated 4 Auto seeds 7 days ago. Their final pots are 20L but my window sill can’t hold 4 x 20L pots so I had to start them in small 1L pots. 

They’re now in my newly built seedling / germination / veg tent however they’re still in the same pots and I’ve noticed a few roots poking out the bottoms. 

I feel like they need potting up before they get stunted but my little tent (60x60x90) isn’t big enough to hold 4 x 20L pots, and I’ve got 8 photos germinated ready to go into that tent tomorrow. 

So, do I… 

A. Leave them in the little pots for another week then pot up and pop them in the greenhouse. 

B. Pot them up to final pots, put 1 in the greenhouse now, keep the other 3 in the tent and try to squeeze the other 8 seedlings around them. 

C. Pot them up to final pots and stick them all in the greenhouse with a duvet or two. 

FOR CONTEXT:

The greenhouse/poly tunnel is currently around 16 degrees & 60%RH during the day. 

Edited by latitude54

I would leave them another week. It might be too early for a decent root ball, whole thing may crumble as you try repot. They'll explode once you put them in their finals in a weeks time with a better root system.

• Like 1

Just now, badbillybob said:

they are autos.

pot them up immediately, they dont do well in confined root zones.

This ^^^ Get them into finals asap. But be careful not to disturb the roots as best you can...

20L is pretty hefty for an auto, you'll run the risk of them not rooting out the pot properly which will make it really easy to over water them (a major pitfall with auto's). 10Ls should be absolutely fine and should happily fit in a 60x60. 

• Like 4

I picked up a nifty trick from @panik and @ch@ppers for starting off autos when they can't go straight into their final pot/spot. Start them off in slotted Jiffy pots and get them into finals within 21 days (iirc). Unfortunately the slotted jiffys where discontinued, but our man has come through and stockpiled the last of them so grab them while they're still available. 

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/product-category/other/pots/ 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

20L is pretty hefty for an auto, you'll run the risk of them not rooting out the pot properly which will make it really easy to over water them (a major pitfall with auto's). 10Ls should be absolutely fine and should happily fit in a 60x60. 

really? Shit! I did my last autos in 13(ish) L pots and they went well so I figured bigger pot.. bigger plant. I’m now frantically prepping those same pots!! lol 

Plants potted up into 13ish litre pots and tucked away in the tent. 

using smaller pots for the autos does cause an issue for me though.. It now means I can fit more photos in the greenhouse! lol 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I picked up a nifty trick from @panik and @ch@ppers for starting off autos when they can't go straight into their final pot/spot. Start them off in slotted Jiffy pots and get them into finals within 21 days (iirc). Unfortunately the slotted jiffys where discontinued, but our man has come through and stockpiled the last of them so grab them while they're still available. 

Netpots will do the same job. I use the fibre pots from Panik to start, then 1L netpot, then transfer whole thing to my final.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Exactly my plan this year. Because Ive not got the room to start them in their finals in my little propagation tent , I bought a shit load of these from RGS. I will then boot them outside into their finals after around 2 weeks...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CustardVape said:

Exactly my plan this year. Because Ive not got the room to start them in their finals in my little propagation tent , I bought a shit load of these from RGS. I will then boot them outside into their finals after around 2 weeks...

Good method. large.Screenshot_20230117_165032_com.android.chrome_edit_2666204907925.jpglarge.Screenshot_20230116_170135_com.android.chrome_edit_7833367099324.jpglarge.user406701_pic1869523_1531979580.jpeg.jpg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, latitude54 said:

using smaller pots for the autos does cause an issue for me though.. It now means I can fit more photos in the greenhouse! lol 

Good problem to have :hippy:

7 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Netpots will do the same job. I use the fibre pots from Panik to start, then 1L netpot, then transfer whole thing to my final.

That's a good shout, I'll have to try it out. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, latitude54 said:

Grew out some Seedstocker Autos over the winter and was in a similar situation as you. Tent had photos in and there wasn't enough ground space for the 17L pots I was planning on starting the autos in.

So i used 2l pots I had laying around. Autos went into their 17L pots at week 2 and I almost couldn't keep up with them, they damn near hit the light - pulled around 3 zips from each.

1 of them was also in a 20l, it did manage to root it out but honestly I don't think theres any need to go above 15-17l.

• Like 3

repot them in 2 or 3L pots as long as they have plenty of roots to hold to soil together - water the night before to make it easier.

• Like 2