Making sense of my soil and water tests

Lubdub

I used to get what I thought were PH problems so I started using rainwater and so far I've had no other issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Ever thought you might be doing too much to a soil grow?

Most of use don't use EC pens or PH meters when growing in soil.

Think you're right mate. Been having some issues with my grows, around the 5 week mark things start going funny. Yellow, crispy, falling leaves and that. I always manage to get the plants over the finish line, jars are perpetually filled but I'm not happy lol.

It can be better, much better. So I figured getting the pens would help me get an idea of what's going on with the soil and water. Conclusions I came to are I'm under feeding and my soil pH is 7.5 - now seeing if I can remedy that. 

I started growing using hydro when I started. Too much reading of ph ec et al. and I went down the organic route never used my ph or ec tools since.

I top dress with ecothrive and add seaweed extract to the water. I’m fully no-till in my garden and have a good compost heap. Take the science out of it mate, the only sciency thing I do is my environment. A lot of the American sites and uchoob videos always go on about water……..’cos theirs is shite, there’s been a lot in the news about it recently. Get a water test done at Growers Ark, it might put your mind at rest…..I did and my water is perfect for growing ganja, so rules that out for me.:yep:

I’m just finishing my 3rd grow in 2x50l pots but not done owt but top dress and add compost, I used 16l pots before that and had the same issues as yourself. Good luck :yep:

• Like 2

I haven’t grown in soil for over15 years but I thought soil buffers the water -nutrients so with it being 8.45 from the tap which is hard i thought the soil would buffer that? Is everything else ok environment wise?peace Goohfy.

46 minutes ago, Flamedodger said:

I started growing using hydro when I started. Too much reading of ph ec et al. and I went down the organic route never used my ph or ec tools since.

I top dress with ecothrive and add seaweed extract to the water. I’m fully no-till in my garden and have a good compost heap. Take the science out of it mate, the only sciency thing I do is my environment. A lot of the American sites and uchoob videos always go on about water……..’cos theirs is shite, there’s been a lot in the news about it recently. Get a water test done at Growers Ark, it might put your mind at rest…..I did and my water is perfect for growing ganja, so rules that out for me.:yep:

I’m just finishing my 3rd grow in 2x50l pots but not done owt but top dress and add compost, I used 16l pots before that and had the same issues as yourself. Good luck :yep:

I've got about 100 tabs open on the subject + the recipe to the soil mix in the basket ready to checkout. Been planning this move for a bit.
Not sure if I'm ill be no till though. Do you plant multiple in those 50l pots? I had my eye on a 100l fabric pot..

4 minutes ago, Goohfy said:

I haven’t grown in soil for over15 years but I thought soil buffers the water -nutrients so with it being 8.45 from the tap which is hard i thought the soil would buffer that? Is everything else ok environment wise?peace Goohfy.

It seems like it did and has done up until the 5-6 week mark. Then things get fucked, almost every grow.

3 hours ago, Greenfingers420uk said:

good informative piece on pH. I don't bother with ph up or down. I use lemon drops in the water to lower the 8.5 tap water, if I need to. I reckon 2-3 waterings at 6.5ish to fix the 7.5 pH issue.

Compost is pretty much depleted now (if my ec readings are true) and 3 weeks from chop so not sure what else.

23 minutes ago, Lubdub said:Do you plant multiple in those 50l pots? I had my eye on a 100l fabric pot..

Just one in each pot :yep:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lubdub said:

I've got about 100 tabs open on the subject + the recipe to the soil mix in the basket ready to checkout. Been planning this move for a bit.
Not sure if I'm ill be no till though. Do you plant multiple in those 50l pots? I had my eye on a 100l fabric pot..

It seems like it did and has done up until the 5-6 week mark. Then things get fucked, almost every grow.

good informative piece on pH. I don't bother with ph up or down. I use lemon drops in the water to lower the 8.5 tap water, if I need to. I reckon 2-3 waterings at 6.5ish to fix the 7.5 pH issue.

Compost is pretty much depleted now (if my ec readings are true) and 3 weeks from chop so not sure what else.

i didn't like messing about with ph so i only use rainwater now with soil and so far so good :bong:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lubdub said:

Lubdub

Go for no till next grow, look at the soil mix of @blackpoolbouncer It's a good mix with easy to get ingredients, you could incorporate your existing soil in the mix.

@mindsoup also has a diary with no till in 50ltr bed, well worth reading.

2 hours ago, Greenfingers420uk said:

i didn't like messing about with ph so i only use rainwater now with soil and so far so good :bong:

I'm just starting to use rainwater too.

Doesn't rain water lack oxygen and vital minerals and possibly pathogens/pollution when untreated?

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Doesn't rain water lack oxygen and vital minerals and possibly pathogens/pollution when untreated?

possibly, But it works  :cheers: 

There's live things bigger than my cock in my water butt & under a microscope Serious Sam looks quiet & sedate. 

Would take some convincing but would be brilliant if there was mileage in this. 

I read with almost paralysing horror the pest infestation threads on here, and look to within reason, minimise similar happening to me. The thought of shit going on in the rootball that I can't readily see, I can do without. 

• Like 2