Height & Dimmer vs PPFD

J.C

I feel like I'm over complicating and overthinking this.

Currently got 3 x PAR+480 boards in a 1.2m x 2.4m tent.

Been reading a lot about hanging heights and how much power they should have at various stages but it seems like there isn't one answer as LED's vary in efficency and coverage.

So, is the "best" way of working it out to use a meter to see what the PPFD is at plant height and adjust according to the growth stage. For example:

Seedling - 300-400 PPFD

Veg - 500-600 PPFD

Flower - 700-800 PPFD

Is it as simple as that or am I missing something?

• Like 1

The photone app isn't accurate for me it says the same when I switch from 100-400w I'm buying a lux meter only 14 quid one and it's accurate migro tested it out on 4 different models it's worth a watch.

• Like 2

@UKsFinest - Had it for a while and loaded it up again last night to see there is now a calibration option which I might try. The good news is that I was in the right range anyway

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J.C said:

So, is the "best" way of working it out to use a meter to see what the PPFD is at plant height and adjust according to the growth stage. For example:

Seedling - 300-400 PPFD

Veg - 500-600 PPFD

Flower - 700-800 PPFD

Is it as simple as that

Yes 

• Like 1

@MindSoup - Dammit, I knew there was a thread about it somewhere on here and completely forgot it was your one. I'll have another gander but I think I have the situation under control

• Like 2

I compared photone to the uni t and it wasn't anywhere near as accurate. Not that it really needs to be but uni t is as good as an Apogee once you do the maths (or let the app do it for you) and it's only about a tenner more. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I've recently started using Photone now that I got it "calibrated".

Out of the box it seemed to be using some kind of "correction" that meant it wasn't using the "raw" data from the sensor. (I can access the raw data from the hidden admin menu or another app.)

Once I calibrated it to the LUX reading from an app that just displays the raw data it was all good.

The readings before were well out of wack.