Dripper system uneven flow

Stoned Whale

So I've just built a dripper setup with a run to waste brain for my pots of coco.

First time attempting anything like this.

Im using an Aquaking Q2503 sump pump which is rated for 5000Lph. Rated for 7m immersion depth and 6m height, nowhere near either of those figures.

Pump inside 400l flexi tank, 25mm piping, pumping up to the height of tank (anti siphon valve), down to floor, up 2inches ~ into room and then around the piping in the diagram. 4 way inline manifolds then take 4mm dripper lines to 2Lph rated red dripper stakes. Each line is then ended with a stop end.

There is quite a decent length of piping by time it all adds up. I could have ran them differently but done it like this so I can still easily crawl up the alleyways between them without piping in the way.

I was surprised to find my flow issues were the opposite of expected, the drippers furthest down the line get strong pressure with a strong spray coming out of them. While the ones at top of diagram closest to reservoir / pump get virtually no dripping at all.

I have been reading about creating loops to equalise pressure. Would what I drew in the diagram help? Should I look into a stronger pump? I thought 5000Lph would be more than enough for 24 2Lph drippers.

I have been running this for 3 weeks and hadn't really been noticing the difference until flipping into stretch and the plants at top of room were just so so stunted vs ones at bottom. Paid some closer attention and its pretty clear why!

Thanks for looking!

large.painting1.png

Edited by Stoned Whale

In short… Yes if you create a loop it will definitely help with equalising the pressure out and giving a more even distribution of flow to the drippers.

I would think your pump is more than strong enough to handle it :yep:

• Like 3

Yea just loop it all back on itself and that will help with creating a more even pressure but from what I have experienced so far, it will never be perfectly the same. 

I just whack an extra dripper into the plants that drink more. 

• Like 3

large.CE7A132F-2D34-441D-86D1-D68798B06E08.jpeg

Create the loop to equalise the pressure will 100% fix your uneven flow problem. 

here’s one way that may not take much extra pipe work etc. 

T off the main coming from the AquaKing

• Like 3

Ok mate let us know how you get on with flow when you close the system like notorious says your pump is strong enough I use the same and mine does 25 iws pots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDaMon said:

large.CE7A132F-2D34-441D-86D1-D68798B06E08.jpeg

Create the loop to equalise the pressure will 100% fix your uneven flow problem. 

here’s one way that may not take much extra pipe work etc. 

T off the main coming from the AquaKing

Thanks for the replies. Nice to have confirmation it should help, will get it done tomorrow. 

Never thought to fit for extra drippers for heavy drinkers, great idea for the future. 

I will need to order a couple extra T pieces before I could set it up like that diagram. Would having the T like this closer to the pump help even more?

Just now, Stoned Whale said:

Thanks for the replies. Nice to have confirmation it should help, will get it done tomorrow. 

Never thought to fit for extra drippers for heavy drinkers, great idea for the future. 

I will need to order a couple extra T pieces before I could set it up like that diagram. Would having the T like this closer to the pump help even more?

to be honest either or should still equalise the pressure. 

I just prefer creating a more equal looking loop. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stoned Whale said:

This will once more unbalance the flow to each outlet...not recommended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

This will once more unbalance the flow to each outlet...not recommended.

Interesting. 

I didn't see any major unbalances when I had to add extra drippers into a loop. 

Surely having more drippers will mean the total amount of available pressure gets distributed between all the drippers. 

I just added extra time to the watering schedule. 

Have I missed something here? 

• Like 1

@JonDaMon

I see your point bud, if you're adding more time then they should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't do it, two spouts per pot and a 15min on 45min off cycle works perfectly well...:yep:

• Like 1

ditch the pressure regulated drippers, they are proper jank, I run the Q2007 with 4 x 8 way manifolds and blue flood drippers (16 pots, 2 drippers per pot, each pot gets 1 min twice a day), great even flow, no issues. 2 separate lines from pump,  no ring. Soon to upgrade to a larger pump as need 48 drippers for bigger setup 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stu914 said:

@JonDaMon

I see your point bud, if you're adding more time then they should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't do it, two spouts per pot and a 15min on 45min off cycle works perfectly well...:yep:

think you tagged me by mistake? I didn’t mention extra time. :yep:

I agree about the unequal pressure of differing drippers/schrubblers etc unless you’re using the pressure regulated one’s set for 2LPH/4LPH/8LPH etc as the diaphragm in these regulates the flow through them. 

• Like 1

@JonDaMon

Oooops!!  Sorry bud...

Looking at his diagram I would certainly reduce the overall amount of pipe.. "T" straight off the pump then loop round the

middle six pots to complete the circuit, all pots can be fed from there.

• Like 1