GORILLA GROWERS UNITE

GuerillaOG

2023 Season is about to commence. 

Question: Do you think seedlings can start with minimal sun in a windowsill for a month before last frost to give it a better start, or outside from seedling after last frost? Im thinking of just popping them all now. lol 

@GuerillaOGd

The trouble is the days aren't long enough yet and you don't want the seedlings to think it's time to flower haha.

Also you gotta be careful with a lot of outdoor strains these days because they're semi auto.

I guess you could do it if you're growing fully photoperiod strains and you kept some kind of light on in the room.

If they are photoperiod I'd veg them under some CFLs and put them out mid May when they're massive haha.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Underdog said:

@GuerillaOGd

The trouble is the days aren't long enough yet..

Thanks for the help mate, good point. I have got a little 60x60 tent perhaps i'll start em in there instead. Cheers mate! 

• Like 3

for Photos , 6 weeks before you plant out with careful potting up to control the size.

6-8 weeks they are sexually mature enough to flower from low light and /or root restriction.

so if keeping for more than 6 weeks , defo need lighting to suplament .

If you got a tent , use it . You only need 100-150w running

• Like 3

Have a go at it mate :yep:       Nothing ventured / nothing gained ,  drop them into the Wild Card Weed and let us all see how it plays out :yep:

I have in the past started seeds early under the windows of the shed ,  as long as you supply heat ,  i see no reason why they wont take off ,  they may put their energy into below the soil as opposed to above soil and poss offer a burst of energy when the heat comes on a bit .... as seen this a few times by this method.   

I highly doubt growth will be rapid so you got nothing to risk other than beans & a little compost.   

I plant out way earlier than 99% of boys & girls on here and not seen any issues other than the cold !  

Get them wet and let us see how you go :george:     

• Like 6

What’s minimal sun.?

what you don’t want to do is bring plants to sexual maturity under supplemental, then stick outside early - the sudden drop in light hours causing plants to flower.  Starting only under natural light is different, the plant can sense the increasing day length and so isn’t as likely to flower at sexual maturity (even if the light hours are less than what would trigger in the above situation). 

• Like 7

@Amarillo slim  good points.

do you reckon starting now on a window ledge may result in lanky plants though without the extra light?

Obviously depending on how much light his window gets and the amount of sun out.

• Like 2

I pop mine middle April in garden and plant out middle may , 

I'd say just leave it a bit and get em straight outside 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

@Amarillo slim  good points.

do you reckon starting now on a window ledge may result in lanky plants though without the extra light?

Obviously depending on how much light his window gets and the amount of sun out.

not necessarily, no.  A few weeks back I did a germination test on the Rw x MWF which will most likely be in the store next week, seeds placed direct into soil at room temp, kept these on a window board (currently gets direct sun from about 12:30).  Potted up once (stems buried slightly) , once or twice bend of stem by hand to strengthen….  

large.0254F873-2AF3-48F1-A5FB-719FB7E4CE33.jpeg

Might be considered lanky compared to same plants under a 600w MH on 17+, but by no means anything to worry about. Will be going out next week if temps seem ok.  Might get them used to lower temps in the mean time in case there’s another frost.  

Too many factors to say wether starting now under natural or later under lights (and all variances and mixtures of both) is better or worse for the OP.  It’s not that black and white.  But I reckon these will do ok. 

Somthing I noticed the other year, reasonable numbers of same seed sown same time, under lights vs greenhouse start.   The indoor ones more compact, easier transport etc, but the GH faired much better settling into the outdoor environment.   Again, lot of variables, but, aside from a few (like above) it’s all outdoor germination for me this year.  Much less risk, as good or better results.   

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 5

Sure you can but why would you want to .

If you germ mid April for may plant out they will grow a min 6ft provided enough medium and water until established  .

Thanks for the feedback all. Yeah i think i'll wait til April 20th when there will be space in the 100w tent then give up a few weeks in there before bringing them outside then to the plot. Thanks peeps! 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2023 at 7:05 PM, Amarillo slim said:

Rw x MWF which will most likely be in the store next week

:pitchfork::pitchfork::pitchfork:

Guerillas camping outside the store since Saturday waiting for the beans to arrive lol:sweaty:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HullFeltMashematician said:

:pitchfork::pitchfork::pitchfork:

Guerillas camping outside the store since Saturday waiting for the beans to arrive lol:sweaty:

Apologies, busy both ends has delayed slightly.  First wave are now on their way to Joolz, soon as he has time to collect and add to the store, I will make an announcement in the Alfemco releases thread.   

large.F83C5C82-ED04-444B-92F1-A8B8A2B4B8A2.jpeg

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Idicanna jones said:

Eeeeeeeexcellent 

I read that as Mr.burns with steepled fingers lol  

• Like 1