Don't Stick Worms In Airpots

ExpatGrower

Yep, that is all... I learned the hard way so you don't have to! Dreading to see how many are in the tent in the morning :o

• Like 1

I've had mine in pot made of 3 ( or 4 ) airpots stuck together into a big bed

Been there for about 2 years now I think. I've not found em elsewhere and there's still plenty in the pot. What happened to yours? Swift exit?

• Like 1

Oh! I had 4 or 5 jumped out of the pots after a few hours, I'm guessing more by the morning! Did this happen to you at the start maybe? I wonder if it's the cold temps Vs what they've been used to, 32c down to 21. 

Hmmm nah don't think it sever happened with mine 

Temps should just make them slower I think, 21 prob still fine for em

Think I've read they might leave if there's not enough food or the ph is wrong for them. How big pots are we talking? Is the soil nice and moist?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Hotdogs said:

the ph is wrong for them

My first go at vermiculture was a 10l bucket in a corner of the bathroom.

It worked well for a while but I knew something was going on when I started finding them crawling up out of the medium en masse.

One or two started to be found dehydrated on the floor.

It wasn't long before it all went south.

A huge mass exodus with worms all over the bathroom and a big die off in the bucket.

I found it a bit distressing to be honest. There I was. Their god. And I fucked up and wiped them out.

I'm absolutely convinced it was ph.

The population had exploded and I suspect this contributed to it all going out of balance.

Unlikely to be the cause in this case.

My first thought was "Air Pots"? and worms? They are drying out and off to seek greener pastures.

Edited by Wacky Wardrobe
  • Like 6

Yeah my best guess is too small pot, too much air/not enough wet

Or way too much wet leading to anaerobic/acidic conditions... (Less likely?) 

I can relate to the emotional aspect of the worms wellbeing haha I like to try and make their lives as nice as poss

• Like 4

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!

The worms are African night crawlers, the pots are 12g airpots and the soil is coots recipe living soil, so pH is around 6.5. I kinda thought it was cause they had been transported in a warm box and then stuck in my cold grow room soil since I have cannabis curing in there at about 21 c max. Could be too dry but I don't think so... I guess if loads are leaving in the morning I'll just stick them outside, I also want them to have happy life's and not just be my slaves 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatGrower said:

warm box and then stuck in my cold

I seriously doubt low temperature is the problem in this setting.

I harvested this weekend and went out to stick the waste in my wormy compost outside.

There were active worms where there had been 4 inches of snow two days ago.

• Like 1

Interesting that you say this as I was actually planning on using the airports as mini worm farms to process all this elephant shit I have laying around. 

I couldn't see why it wouldn't work.... 

I guess it is very very hot right now. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 3:35 PM, Thai Stick said:

Interesting that you say this as I was actually planning on using the airports as mini worm farms to process all this elephant shit I have laying around. 

I couldn't see why it wouldn't work.... 

I guess it is very very hot right now. 

They seem settled now so maybe it's ok... But I think canvas is probably better for this method, more difficult for them to slip out. 

On 15/03/2023 at 8:35 AM, Thai Stick said:

to process all this elephant shit I have laying around.  

Ahhh yes that old problem lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

Ahhh yes that old problem lol

Tried it with dog shit, cat shit and even fox shit, but it just lacked that "ooh la la" in the final product. lol

• Like 2