Latitude

Baron von greenback

When people are saying what latitude are you at isn't it confusing as say I at latitude 54  so northwest England some else is at northwest Scotland someone else at Southwest England now if I got this correct which I probably haven't there's a big difference growing up in North of Scotland weather wise fucking freezing compared to bottom of England were they get a lot more warmer weather so is this right or am I way off

Latitude are horizontal lines, Longitude are vertical lines. If you're on 54 degrees North Latitude then that is in England, it doesn't come anywhere near Scotland. The Longitude lines cut through Scotland, England and Wales. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

Thankfully I'm at 41 Lat.  :hippy:

Show off ..!

Me?

Up here at 54 Lat.

God's own country.

Not jealous at all....

:-)

• Like 3

large_LAT.png

Graph showing change in hours of daylight at various lats over a year. 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

Yeah, there's quite a difference across the country.

large.029a6932e7c6a23cc5de8551a64c237a.jpg

This map is wrong! In Cornwall there is a city! It's called truro it's the only city in Cornwall and its got a cathedral!

Oh and Bournemouth isn't a city .

Edited by B-real

Just now, B-real said:

This map is wrong! In Cornwall there is a city! It's called truro it's the only city in Cornwall and its got a cathedral!

Oh and Bournemouth isn't a city .

Don't be ridiculous man!  There are NO cities in Cornwall.  The slow creeping glacier of clotted cream makes it impossible to build on that beautiful craggy earth.  You're right about Bournemouth though.  It isn't a city, it's a state of mind. :rofl:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

Me?

Up here at 54 Lat.

God's own country.

I'll never tell anyone what Latitude I'm at. lol 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, latitude54 said:

I'll never tell anyone what Latitude I'm at. lol 

You keep it under yer flat cap mate.

No one but you and your whippet need to know owt.

:-)

Edited by Wacky Wardrobe
  • Like 2

If you look at the average temperatures for various places in mainland UK, there's not that much difference, maybe 2 or 3ºC between coldest and warmest - on average

Weather is something else: wind, rain, fog, sunshine. Depends on the local geography to some extent. You get sunny places in north east Scotland, and wet and windy places in Wales, for example. Weather on this island is generally shit compared to continental Europe - on average. But again there's variation depending on how close to the coast you are.

As @Amarillo slim suggests, hours of daylight is probably the most significant factor. IMHO.

• Like 3

This map exaggerates the differences. If you look at the actual temperatures, there's not a huge difference in the areas where the majority of people live. The coldest bits are mostly higher ground: hills, moors and mountains which are largely unpopulated.

I suppose warm and wet weather is slightly better than cool and wet for cannabis and mould. Warm and dry better than cool and dry, but not going to make a huge difference 

large.summer-mean-temperature.png

• Like 4