Storing worm castings?

Hole in the clouds

Hi I ordered a load of worm castings to get  free delivery and was hoping to keep half of them for next year. Anyway I’ve had them a few weeks and when I opened the first sack there was loads of tiny worms. Can I store these? Im thinking all the worms will die and it will go foul. Are you supposed to use them straight away? 
cheers

when I used soil I always had a sack of worm castings in the garage, used to get thru a sack over the course of a year or so and there were always live worms til the end of the sack iirc, keep them somewhere dark where they won't dry out and you should be good

• Like 1

Could you start your own wormery? They'll multiply fast and go through kitchen scraps fast in the summer and give you a constant supply

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clean Green said:

Could you start your own wormery? They'll multiply fast and go through kitchen scraps fast in the summer and give you a constant supply

yes..but i just feed the worms with dried chickenmanure on guerilla......it has the same effect.. :) 

°°°

a compost bin of 240 liters kitchen scraps and greens-browns from garden ...gives about 20 kg compost.

here i can get fabik compost for free as much as i want....i have to pick it up at factory myself and put it in bags..

they do it here for sign of thanks you for the people who seporate kitchen scraps.

Edited by DutchFox

• 2 weeks later...

Fresher the worm castings the better IMO. Bought a bag from the grow shop years ago, plagron I believe, was bone dry and completely lifeless… Waste of money

13 hours ago, Aphatspliff said:

Fresher the worm castings the better IMO. Bought a bag from the grow shop years ago, plagron I believe, was bone dry and completely lifeless… Waste of money

yes fresher the better ...whats left is 100% organic matter if dry......butstill usable

fungee and bacteria are bone-dry near absent.

npk is near zero from worm fabrics castings.  thats why that wormcastings is usable for germanating 

a good wormcasting fabric will indicate on bag ph level should be 6.3 to 6.5 if worms had the full proces with it....

some 2nd grade (polish) fabric will sell it with ph 5.5.... :( 

Edited by DutchFox