Clay soil can fuck off.

Underdog

Dig out a big hole then add coco compo manure leaf matter over a few years it will be lovely.

Year 1 just add tons of compo and mulch with cardboard 

I am working with clay.

I've tried all sorts, but I'm confident to recommend tubes over anything else for an easy short term solution.

Atb

:skin_up:

• Like 2

in dry seaisons...clay rulez :)...nothing keeps moist as this.....

plant early is the key 

lime breaks clay......do it in dec/jan...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Vitax Clay breaker for the win :yep:

:yinyang:

What's vitax clay breaker mate

@Baron von greenback vitax are a fertilizer company who market their gear at amateur gardeners (like normal gardeners) and this is the vitax blurb about the clay breaker...

"Clay Breaker is ideal for conditioning soil without affecting its natural pH. Suitable for all clay-based soils, Clay Breaker will break up the heaviest of soil, making it easier to work.

Clay Breaker:

Improves drainage and enhances soil warmth to encourage earlier cropping

Will not damage soil pH

Can also be used as an autumn top dressing on lawns

Granulated for easy use around the garden, Clay Breaker can be used at any time of the year. For best results, apply during autumn after rough digging in the affected areas.

The added benefit of introducing Clay Breaker into the soil in autumn is that the winter frosts combine with the breaker to give a good soil structure for spring planting.

Clay Breaker can be incorporated in to soil which will be used for vegetables and flowers. It can also be used for lawns."

• Like 2

Just now, BilgePump said:

@Baron von greenback vitax are a fertilizer company who market their gear at amateur gardeners (like normal gardeners) and this is the vitax blurb about the clay breaker...

"Clay Breaker is ideal for conditioning soil without affecting its natural pH. Suitable for all clay-based soils, Clay Breaker will break up the heaviest of soil, making it easier to work.

Clay Breaker:

Will not damage soil pH

Granulated for easy use around the garden, Clay Breaker can be used at any time of the year. For best results, apply during autumn after rough digging in the affected areas.

The added benefit of introducing Clay Breaker into the soil in autumn is that the winter frosts combine with the breaker to give a good soil structure for spring planting.

Clay Breaker can be incorporated in to soil which will be used for vegetables and flowers. It can also be used for lawns."

Cheers mate

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Clay Breaker:

Will not damage soil pH

yes...2.5 kilo for 8 uk pounds.....

i gues its just lime....with a very expensive name..  :) 

• Like 1

i use this...

lime with 15% mgo

20 kilo for 18.70 euro

20 kilo granulate for 250m2

https://image.dcm-info.com/product/DCM/Hobby/Kalk/Groen-Kalk-Calcaire-Vert-nl.jpg

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

@DutchFox there's not actually that much lime in the clay breaker.

Bog standard garden lime will raise the pH of soil making it more alkaline whereas the c.b doesn't alter the ph of your soil significantly.

2.5kg for 8 quid?? Online maybe yeah but we sell it over the counter for 9.99 per 10kg bucket, 10kg of garden lime is a few quid cheaper.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

@DutchFox there's not actually that much lime in the clay breaker.

Bog standard garden lime will raise the pH of soil making it more alkaline whereas the c.b doesn't alter the ph of your soil significantly.

2.5kg for 8 quid?? Online maybe yeah but we sell it over the counter for 9.99 per 10kg bucket, 10kg of garden lime is a few quid cheaper.

i tried to find the contend of this stuff...could not find any real info.......( still i dont ) probally some  Gypsum as soil improver 

======================================

here we have a garden produckt.....its a sandy soil improver.....thats how its marketed :) 

it costs a fortune.....and.....its just pure clay !!!  :)  :) ....well...there is no lie its just a great way to sell cheap clay :):):) 

but yes its a sand inprover :):) 

Edited by DutchFox

I wouldn't add clay to sand personally, that sounds like a recipe for bricks.

@DutchFox I imagine the difference is calcium carbonate Vs calcium sulfate dihydrate and a few other organic bits and bobs, tbh I've quizzed the vitax rep and he's got about as much product knowledge as the potatoes he likes to grow.

I've just had a thought though...

Symphytum officinale is a renowned destroyer of clods and breaker of unfavorable ground AND it's a banging liquid feed when made into a compost tea...

@Underdog Get on the comfrey bro :yep:

• Like 1

Just now, BilgePump said:

I wouldn't add clay to sand personally, that sounds like a recipe for bricks.

@DutchFox I imagine the difference is calcium carbonate Vs calcium sulfate dihydrate and a few other organic bits and bobs, tbh I've quizzed the vitax rep and he's got about as much product knowledge as the potatoes he likes to grow.

I've just had a thought though...

Symphytum officinale is a renowned destroyer of clods and breaker of unfavorable ground AND it's a banging liquid feed when made into a compost tea...

@Underdog Get on the comfrey bro :yep:

yes...manny try to make money from amateur gardeners...  :) 

sand and clay if mixed well...works....

207-2074393_soil-texture-triangle.png

• Like 6

to know what kind of soil you have....do this simple test...

to find the % sand % clay and % loam for previous post...triangle

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1