Does harvesting ‘style’ affect drying?

latitude54

9 days ago I harvested my Cream Mandy XL which is a sativa leaning auto. Having a new drying tent with a max height of 90cm, I cut the plant into small sections / individual branches. Hanging it in the tent I realised that actually I had more height to play with than I thought. So when I harvested my Gorilla Glue (indica leaning auto) 2 days later, I chopped it into 2 halves to hang in the same drying tent. 

checking yesterday, the Cream Mandy is starting to feel quite dry whilst the Gorilla Glue is still soft and damp. This got me wondering if there’s actually a difference in how bud dries depending on how it’s cut? 

Do buds dry quicker if cut on their own branch rather than hanging the whole plant as one? And if so, is that a good thing or not? 

For reference, my drying environment is a steady 55% at 11-13 degrees. 

Edited by latitude54

The bigger the chunk the longer it takes to dry, i always hang whole plants and give them about 2 weeks.

• Like 5

I assume anything with heavier branching  - more liquid ,  would take longer to dry.       

Off the stalk will dry out quicker ,    I much prefer to  take whole or main branch and upside down dry to try extract every last drop.     

I find off the bone buds can crisp up a tad even if the drying temps are slightly out.      

• Like 3

I do find it slower when you leave it as one and hang it. I also like to water it the day before I chop it down. Anything to slow the drying process really. Slower the better imo.

• Like 6

The more leaves that are removed and the more pieces it’s cut up into the faster it will dry in whatever environment it’s in it’s as simple as that really…

Whole hang FTW :yep:

• Like 6

Yeah, the bigger the longer. It's just like ice cubes melting in water : a big one stays longer than two small, at volume equal.

Another thing I was wandering about but not sure : usually, Indicas are known for giving denser buds thas Sativas. Could add to the equation.

• Like 1

Every cut to plant matter is an extra place moisture can escape from, this is why most of the time you can tell if a plant was wet trimmed, so hanging whole and dry trimming is the optimal method making drying longer, individual cut branches will dry quicker but can still get decent results.

You can also affect both methods drying times with the environment you're drying in.

• Like 4

I always get rid of any big leaves work my way down the full plant then hang ‘em takes that bit longer but personally I get better results when they are dry.You definitely don’t want to dry to quickly or it’ll smell and taste like hay yak a doodle do.peace out for you Goohfy.

• Like 1

Cheers chaps. 
It makes sense now. Last time, I dried whole plants but the environment was less than idea so wanted to ask for some advice. 

• Like 3