The math on a 4090 RTX - weekly costs

Slippy One

5 hours ago, AngryDuck said:

I have been put off upgrading due to the amount of electricity every component is now requiring compared to what I have.

AMD have been making some real headway in the efficiency race...

2 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

I’m definitely done spending money for a while.. The 4080 was part of a full system upgrade after selling all my old kit. I went for the 13600K, an Asrock Z790 Live Mixer and 32GB 6800 DDR5. To think half of the budget went on the GPU alone is insane. 

That thread went totaly over my head I hopeing your talking about pcs my son plays fortnight and stuff like that he's playing on the new Xbox  with an elite controller with toggles on the back has to have toggles on the back I keep getting told the others are no good don't know why anyways he's keep saying it's crap to slow lagging terms like that said he wants a pc so I said Xmas the ones I but I haven't got a clue and they seem pricey he's on about me building one  so what should I be buying or looking at any help would be great cheers guys

• Like 1

@NezA yeah man, its a shame to see EVGA drop out, presumably due to the greed of Nvidia. They used to be my go to, loved the FTW cards.

@Baron von greenback https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vLVVpH Put this list together mate, hope sharing the link doesn’t break the forum rules. You’re talking this sort of spec and price range - £1200

Edited by Smokey McBongface
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NezA said:

AMD have been making some real headway in the efficiency race...

The problem with AMD is they seem to suffer in the games I play. It's always been the same problem too, the weak single core. (if you referring to cpus)

For GPUS I will always be team green. 

Fiber is what I really need to improve my gameplay. Playing on 20+ year-old copper here and till last year I had no other option. 70/19 is my current line but it won't allow any higher speeds, even if I wanted to pay. I tried.

Been living on the dream of 900/900 for £25 a month for the last year lol

3 hours ago, McHazy said:

Cannae even begin to justify spending more on a graphics card than I spent on a fuckin car lol

I think GPU's are at the cutting edge of tech, yes they're fancy but they're basically 4 years ahead of other PC parts in terms of speed and number crunching. I do blame the 2/4k screens forcing GPU's to facilitate 100+ frames per second on  144-165hz screens. 

Plus, there ain't no respawning if that car fails at high speed. :yep:

@Smokey McBongfacethat's a nice setup! Out of curiosity, where did you sell all your old bits? I'm thinking Gumtree so I can sell locally and won't need to post? 

• Like 1

Bit disappointing we’re only just starting to see GPUs capable of 4K gaming, 5+ years since folks started buying 4K TV’s.

Its as if Nvidia and AMD are doing everything they can to block 4K becoming standard.. Presumably theres too much money to be lost on the drip fed 1080 > 1440 stuff. 

@Slippy One thanks man, really happy with it. I managed to recoup pretty much 100% of the cost selling my old server and a AMD 5900x build I put together a few years back. Made the decision to buy the 4080 even easier, felt like I was converting old hardware to new.

I sold it all on ebay, made draft listings then posted them as soon as the 80% off seller fees promo popped up :) 

8 hours ago, AngryDuck said:

The problem with AMD is they seem to suffer in the games I play. It's always been the same problem too, the weak single core. (if you referring to cpus)

For GPUS I will always be team green. 

Fiber is what I really need to improve my gameplay. Playing on 20+ year-old copper here and till last year I had no other option. 70/19 is my current line but it won't allow any higher speeds, even if I wanted to pay. I tried.

Been living on the dream of 900/900 for £25 a month for the last year lol

You can't have everything sadly, you need to pick and choose what's important to you. If you want performance per watt AMD is the way to go, If all you care about is raw performance why mention power consumption at all?

It's like buying a super car and moaning about its fuel consumption.

Hardware is a much closer race these days and I'm seeing less and less benefits for team blue and green.

@NezA It's never entered my mind when buying in the past. Only the last 12/18 months with the stupidly high cost to run everything have I become a bit of a nerd with checking wattage. lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

@NezA yeah man, its a shame to see EVGA drop out, presumably due to the greed of Nvidia. They used to be my go to, loved the FTW cards.

@Baron von greenback https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vLVVpH Put this list together mate, hope sharing the link doesn’t break the forum rules. You’re talking this sort of spec and price range - £1200

Cheers mate much appreciated I haven't had a luck yet do I get everything on list is this a good set up he's pretty good at fortnight nearly won money a couple of times but he says the top guys are all on pc will     this do thanks ok mate just had a luck might as well be in Chinese cheers though @Smokey McBongface

Edited by Baron von greenback
  • Like 1

@Baron von greenback maybe too confusing but in the parts list at the bottom is a 1080p monitor, the other bits listed are ideal for that scenario. I imagine a lot of the winning in fortnite is to do with using a keyboard and mouse vs a controller on a console so the above would be ideal really, theres potential to do it cheaper but that combination of hardware would see him happy for a while.

1 minute ago, Smokey McBongface said:

@Baron von greenback maybe too confusing but in the parts list at the bottom is a 1080p monitor, the other bits listed are ideal for that scenario. I imagine a lot of the winning in fortnite is to do with using a keyboard and mouse vs a controller on a console so the above would be ideal really, theres potential to do it cheaper but that combination of hardware would see him happy for a while.

Thanks mate I have a look into it