The math on a 4090 RTX - weekly costs

Slippy One

OK so here's the math I use to justify obscene costs with GPU's these days.. 

Gigabyte RTX 4090 24gb DDR6 £1675 - 4 year warranty after registering 

so

£1675 over 4 years is £418.75/year. That's £34.90/month or £8.73/week. 

And in 4 years, a 4090 will still be worth £3-600 when you upgrade to a 6090 and repeat the whole process again!! 

Still haven't pulled the plug on a 4090 yet but cheaper than most mobile contracts and a lot more entertaining.. 

• Like 1

lol the prices are brutal man but I finally decided to bite the bullet a few weeks back and bought the founders 4080. (Shame, shame) lol  I’m using a 4K 120Hz LG OLED, realistically the 4080 and 4090 are the only two cards capable of it which is how I came to terms with it.. was still a sore one hitting the checkout button!

6 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Save a wait for the 5090

That'll be £2500!! lol 

Not out until at least Q2 2024 anyway.. 

Still freaking about about buying one but I've had more expensive phone contracts that brought me no joy for more money (£42/month.. ) lol

58 minutes ago, Smokey McBongface said:

lol the prices are brutal man but I finally decided to bite the bullet a few weeks back and bought the founders 4080. (Shame, shame) lol  I’m using a 4K 120Hz LG OLED, realistically the 4080 and 4090 are the only two cards capable of it which is how I came to terms with it.. was still a sore one hitting the checkout button!

How you find it? No buyers remorse?  Some of those 4080's are £1300, nearly 4090 prices but 30% less performance. 

• Like 1

First time i’ve gone for a founders edition, absolutely blown away by how well built it is compared to the cards i’ve owned previously. Looks similar to something you’d expect from apple, the machined aluminium really is lovely. Was able to best the #1 score on 3DMark with a bit of tweaking, considering the founders is bios limited vs something like the ASUS Strix 4080, it pretty much confirms Nvidia have cherry picked the best chips for themselves. Just so happens to be the cheapest option too.. 

£1200 was a hell of a lot of money but its the best part of 500 quid more for the 4090. Performance / power consumption is relative so 30% higher power consumption for the 30% uplift over the 4080.

The 4090 is an absolute beast but at 450W its a long term hard sell IMO, could quite literally fry an egg on it like back in the GTX 480 days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slippy One said:

£1675 over 4 years

can u still chuck them at a bit of crypto mining to claw back costs or is that a no-no for u?

mystic

I have been put off upgrading due to the amount of electricity every component is now requiring compared to what I have. Mine was top-end gear at the time. 6700k at 4.7, 980ti, Now 2070 Super. This card/CPU on water is still putting out 100+fps in games like squad with 100 players and a couple of tweaked settings.

The Nvidia RTX 4090 has an official power draw of 450W, Compared to my current card with a power draw rated at 215 W maximum.

Would the extra fps be worth the extra electricity? I don't think so.

• Like 2

No way the Gigabyte 4090 pulls less than 250w at full loads, otherwise idle is negligible power used compared to a GTX1080. I'm aware my 9700k CPU is pretty old, and would possibly get caught in a Flight Simulator 13700k>DDR5>Z790 upgrade route which scares me, as the good mobos usually start at £250, when they used to be £70.. :(  

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

can u still chuck them at a bit of crypto mining to claw back costs or is that a no-no for u?

mystic

I would if the costs were worth it while we get spanked by EDF for wattage. Isn't crypto out of fashion now? I've no idea how to even start..

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

No way the Gigabyte 4090 pulls less than 250w at full loads, otherwise idle is negligible power used compared to a GTX1080. I'm aware my 9700k CPU is pretty old, and would possibly get caught in a Flight Simulator 13700k>DDR5>Z790 upgrade route which scares me, as the good mobos usually start at £250, when they used to be £70.. :(  

I don't own one so cannot confirm. The wattage I stated came from the Nvidia website. I'm stuck with no upgrade path and the prices really are off-putting for new.  

My PSU is right now in transit to Germany. Big up Evga and their 10-year warranty with my claim being 7.5 years.

Edited by AngryDuck
  • Like 1

I’m definitely done spending money for a while.. The 4080 was part of a full system upgrade after selling all my old kit. I went for the 13600K, an Asrock Z790 Live Mixer and 32GB 6800 DDR5. To think half of the budget went on the GPU alone is insane. 

7 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

First time i’ve gone for a founders edition, absolutely blown away by how well built it is

and thus you have the likes of EVGA leaving the GPU market, sad times.

• Like 1