Self Watering from underneath

Chris Smith

i decided to take a look at watering from the bottom as i saw some AC infinity pots that use wicks to draw up water from trays underneath.

Given i am using Ecothrive soil i need a better watering system, i just dont feel i can hit the sweet spot with manual watering.

So i run 10 gal pots and like an idiot i bought the AC infinity pot bases before realising they dont actually supply a self watering solution for the 10 gal pot users!

I set out to make my own and its worked great! i tested the solution out and added 7 lires of water in the base resevoir. Left overnight on soild with no plant in. The next day the entire 7 litres had been soaked up into the bottom 3rd of the fabric pot!

This has to improve my watering

large.Capture.PNGlarge.1Capture.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

i decided to take a look at watering from the bottom as i saw some AC infinity pots that use wicks to draw up water from trays underneath.

Given i am using Ecothrive soil i need a better watering system, i just dont feel i can hit the sweet spot with manual watering.

So i run 10 gal pots and like an idiot i bought the AC infinity pot bases before realising they dont actually supply a self watering solution for the 10 gal pot users!

I set out to make my own and its worked great! i tested the solution out and added 7 lires of water in the base resevoir. Left overnight on soild with no plant in. The next day the entire 7 litres had been soaked up into the bottom 3rd of the fabric pot!

This has to improve my watering

large.Capture.PNGlarge.1Capture.jpg

What are they wicks also what's that light thing mate how often are you filling up the trays

We call these SIP's at work (self irrigating planters)  loads of people make 'em in lots of different shapes and sizes to suit your needs.

Before you spunk a load of cash on these have a look around at what people who use them say.

You'll see rave reviews for greenhouse sensation quad and duo grow systems from tomoto and pepper growers and old people.

Houseplant types like the Elho drop in versions for decorative pots , elho also make raised beds in this style (living soil boys take note)

I think vegepod do something similar too.

You can always just make some with clay pebbles and deep Stewart saucers n a bit of paracord/wick it's pretty easy really and a great way to avoid doing important stuff.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I like this as it keeps the roots out of the water, unlike Autopots. Pick up the pots and rotate them slightly every day though so the roots don't find their way through the holes and into the reservoir. 

23 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

What are they wicks also what's that light thing mate how often are you filling up the trays

its capillary wick cord. I got it from the jungle site.

The light thing is a water level, they came with the AC infinity pots. Figured they may be useful to use, but i could just as easy stick my finger in there.

15 hours ago, BilgePump said:

We call these SIP's at work (self irrigating planters)  loads of people make 'em in lots of different shapes and sizes to suit your needs.

Before you spunk a load of cash on these have a look around at what people who use them say.

You'll see rave reviews for greenhouse sensation quad and duo grow systems from tomoto and pepper growers and old people.

Houseplant types like the Elho drop in versions for decorative pots , elho also make raised beds in this style (living soil boys take note)

I think vegepod do something similar too.

You can always just make some with clay pebbles and deep Stewart saucers n a bit of paracord/wick it's pretty easy really and a great way to avoid doing important stuff.

i already spunked some cashola on the AC infinity kit. And found it was too small. i am not concerned. ill use them on my toms.

My setup so far using the dishes i already had. With circle perspex circles, which bought and drilled myself. The wick was around 2 and half quid for 50 m. which was enough for all 4 pots. So not too shabby so far

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Clubs said:

I like this as it keeps the roots out of the water, unlike Autopots. Pick up the pots and rotate them slightly every day though so the roots don't find their way through the holes and into the reservoir. 

is it bad for the roots to be in water? theres a lot of systems doing just that. my plants roots always end up in the dish under the pot. Those plants aint stupid.

5 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

is it bad for the roots to be in water? theres a lot of systems doing just that. my plants roots always end up in the dish under the pot. Those plants aint stupid.

I have done a couple of grows in my autopots and I have had no problems with the roots being in the water. The trays completely empty themselves so they have a little bit of a dry spell but not completely dry. They stay at a constant 42% (ish) moisture in the pots themselves. So far for me they have been hassle free. I am using them in coco with Terra Aquatica nutrients.

@Chris Smith full disclosure bro , I was off my box on oil yesterday when I posted, obviously I didn't read yer post through completely or on any way really lollol

I see your DIY and it's tidy work man , top stuff.

I like the fact you've put float indicators on em.

• Like 1

I use quad grows with great results in my greenhouse for tom, cucumbers n peppers..large.IMG_20220710_081750_resized.jpglarge.IMG_20220712_175116_resized.jpglarge.IMG_20220712_175042_resized.jpglarge.IMG_20220710_081821_resized.jpg

and I have had some success with sweet seeds s.a.d auto in them In my greenhouse to. but of self watering Inside in my tent I've always preferred tropf blumats one carrot per pot. 6-12l. great result s.

large.62fbfcc34f2ed_lemondrizzlecelia(Large).JPGlarge.62fbfcc673cdd_ugorgbx1(2)(Large).JPGlarge.IMG_20220721_202310_resized.jpglarge.IMG_20220802_205610_resized.jpg

here's some cured Celia

large.63dfa1ef9191c_Celia(2).JPG

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

Roots need air as well as water. Hydro doesn't go too well when the air pump fails. I've had root rot with Autopots and a SIP. And I don't get the thing about Autopots draining. The pot sits below the water level at all times. They now have an insert though which looks OK.

21 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

its capillary wick cord. I got it from the jungle site.

The light thing is a water level, they came with the AC infinity pots. Figured they may be useful to use, but i could just as easy stick my finger in there.

Ok mate cheers