A bag of my stored harvest smells of mould

Hole in the clouds

Hi I’ve opened one of my stored (4mnths) sealed grove bags and it smells of mould. All the others have been fine. I can’t see any mould through a magnification lens though. It’s seems very dry and almost dusty the buds are brittle. It was dried and then monitored with hygrometer before being heat sealed. It seems like a dry invisible mould if that’s a thing? Can’t see anything that looks like mould I’ve looked at before. Would it be a sort of powdery mould? 
Maybe a mouldy bud got through and ruined the rest of the bag I’m not sure? It’s outdoor and I was picking through mould while harvesting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hole in the clouds said:

Hi I’ve opened one of my stored (4mnths) sealed grove bags and it smells of mould. All the others have been fine. I can’t see any mould through a magnification lens though. It’s seems very dry and almost dusty the buds are brittle. It was dried and then monitored with hygrometer before being heat sealed. It seems like a dry invisible mould if that’s a thing? Can’t see anything that looks like mould I’ve looked at before. Would it be a sort of powdery mould? 
Maybe a mouldy bud got through and ruined the rest of the bag I’m not sure? It’s outdoor and I was picking through mould while harvesting. 

a good way to know is take a few buds and crack them apart. 

if you get a poof of something in the air from the bud then that’s dried up mould spores and bag is most likely ruined. 

• Like 2

@JonDaMon

Pretty much yeah I can’t see anything but can definitely feel there’s spores or something feels velvety and gets up my nose. 
I kind of thought that once its dry mould wouldn’t spread. Can’t of all been mouldy it went through multiple inspection and trims. 

• Like 1

Hold said bag open & upright ,  shake gently in front of a light source ,  i normally find anything contaminated will; show little billows of cloud :george:

I never use anything suspect or tainted and dispose of it ,  some say you can cleanse it .... i wouldnt even consider it but thats just me.  

Hope yours isnt tainted :yep:

• Like 2

I always smell 'fish mould' when mate gets a bit of anything Diesel based, I've even thrown weed back to him claiming it smells of fish mould only to have 10 people tell me I'm mad there's nothing wrong with it, only with diesels I get this, obviously though spores is spores is spores, sucks man, maybe put it in the shroom section

Gone in compost bin probably about 8% of my harvest so not devastated. Don’t think it’s the bags I’m impressed by them and will use again. The rest has been fine so far. Curious to know what went wrong there though I didn’t think it would go bad  once properly dry. Maybe it was the bag had a hole in it I’ll inspect it further tonight see if it leaks air. 

5 hours ago, Hole in the clouds said:

Gone in compost bin probably about 8% of my harvest so not devastated. Don’t think it’s the bags I’m impressed by them and will use again. The rest has been fine so far. Curious to know what went wrong there though I didn’t think it would go bad  once properly dry. Maybe it was the bag had a hole in it I’ll inspect it further tonight see if it leaks air. 

usually it’s mould spores close to the stem of the bud surrounded by all the bud itself. 

so unless you open it to check before drying sometimes it happens. 

then those spores dry up with the rest of the harvest but can cause the smell you found.