LEDs distance to sides?

mubo

At what distance do LEDs travel to the sides of the wall before PPFD is affected? Would 40cm around the outside of a 600w  bar type light be to far?

Edited by mubo
Make it clearer

If you have a 600W LED that is in (lets say) 4 strips I would guess you would hope to easily cover a 3ft x 3ft. A 1.2mx1.2m tent should be happy.

• Like 1

Just have a look for the par map for the light you're thinking of getting, you can see how much drop off there is to the sides. It will vary from light to light as some lights use lenses over the leds and some just rely on their size to cover the area. 

If you grow in pots you have the option of positioning the plants in a stadium so the taller ones sit around the edge, I've always done this even with hps. Plants will also vary in how much light they like, some strains can take a much higher amount of light than others.

What sort of space are you trying to cover? If you've got 40cm on each side of the light then it sounds like the area you're trying to cover is too big.

• Like 6

It’s roughly 2m x 1.5m. It’s not mine, I’m going off what he told me.  so I was thinking 1x600w or 2x 465w. The 465s would touch the sides though.

Just now, mubo said:

It’s roughly 2m x 1.5m. It’s not mine, I’m going off what he told me.  so I was thinking 1x600w or 2x 465w. The 465s would touch the sides though.

The 2 465s will fit. I have one in a 1x1 and it's not a tight fit by any means

One way is 1000 the other way 900 so you would have 200mm to play with each side

• Like 1

I think with bar style lights you want to cover as much area as possible with the physical fixtures whereas board style lights tend to have a little more "spread" ... I think...

:yinyang:

• Like 2

You'll need over a 1000w to cover that space well. If be inclined to go for 4 250w boards myself. 2 465s would be underlit I feel. 

• Like 2