HPS to LED advice and help

Growgreen

Good evening, fellow 420’ers. Currently running a 600w hps light in my grow tent which is located in a shed in my garden. Obviously with the cost of electric escalating the way it is I’ve been thinking about changing to led. I understand this is cheaper, but how much cheaper? Also as I’m in a shed outside the heat factor is something I have to consider. Currently let the hps do the heating for me and just an oil filled radiator if needed during drying but I wondered what everyone would do to keep the heat up without hitting the electric bill too much, or would my oil filled radiator be good to use and considerably cheaper than my current set up? Generally try to avoid growing in the summer as obviously neighbours are out in their garden a lot more, and obviously I don’t want anyone to find out. So yeah, what would you advise, and a rough of idea of the savings. Thanks in advance for any hel  ok and advice, have a great evening. GG

Edited by Growgreen

i would advise you to keeep your hps, as you will just end up spending the cost savings of leds on heating, especially growing in a shed.

i tried leds in my shed, and ended up putting my hps back

• Like 10

Thanks, mate. That’s exactly why I asked, I assumed the cost wouldn’t be that big enough to make much difference. Much appreciated 

• Like 1

@Growgreen

I use LEDs and an oil filled rad in the shed, it's well insulated though and wouldn't go back to hps.

On balance I get more gpw using led which compensates for the heating costs, quality is better too.

Another bonus is the ability to turn them down and get a better spread allowing the plants to be much closer to the light

I'm currently end of first week flower and only using just over 200w covering Im2 and with the better spectrum probably

end up around 450w give or take...more savings...the list goes on...:yep:

Edited by stu914
  • Like 7

The only cost saving is really because you can use less wattage of light compared to a hid but if you're not going to be growing in the summer then it's probably not worth it considering the outlay for the unit itself (although they have come down in price quite a bit) and the fact you will be using the extra wattage for heating. It's a tricky one really as Stu wouldn't want to go back and billy is the opposite.

If you were growing in the summer then I'd say definitely go led.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, KC said:

If you were growing in the summer then I'd say definitely go led.

Another reason to add to the list...:yep:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve grown all year round in a well insulated log cabin (shed) for 2 years with hps, with the way prices are now I won’t even attempt to grow in winter with hps but I’m converting to leds for 2 spring and summer grows. I’ve removed my tent and I’m building an insulted room inside my log cabin and filling the space with migro aray 4s.

Dropping wattage will drop the leccy bill but also heat as 1watt = 1watt regardless of source. If you struggle to maintain temps with HPS, then you would need to match the wattage, which defeats the point for your situation.

But... you could just match your current wattage with a 600w LED. It's not going to reduce your bills but there is an opportunity to increase yields with the higher PPF output, resulting in the need to do less grows overall.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped growing for a bit when the shit hit the fan with the energy crisis.

I used to veg in a 160x80x180cm tent I had for years before growing in a mammoth with a 1000w gavita in a Wilma XL4.

I've started a grow in the small tent in a Wilma 10 sea of green type grow with 2x CMH 350w that I used to use for vegging.

Question is should I move to LEDs or buy new bulbs for CMH.

Only do about 2 grows a year to keep me going so is it worth the outlay for led panels? And is there a recommended panel to look at.

Edited by beebs

I'm guessing that's not length X width X height? For the colder months, I'd use one 315CMH anyway, alongside an LED and just the LED or mostly LED for the rest of the year. 

• Like 2

Thanks, my thoughts are will I be just as well using 2x CMH on full grow as I might not get the yield when using LEDs therefore having to do an extra grow a year:george:

Temps permitting of course.

TBH a lot of this is going over my head, what is the recommended LEDs equivalent to 1 CMH 350.

Edited by beebs