Buy ethanol for feco oil

Blue7733

Hi, I’m looking for a source of food grade ethanol. I recently used liquidessence.co.uk but they have disappeared, site not available. I know I can source isopropyl 99.9% but would much prefer 190-200% proof ethanol. Appreciate any advice and ideas you can help with. I’ve got a temperature controlled distiller that I’ve thought about putting cheap vodka through to increase proof/purity. Anyone got any experience with this. 

I use Polish vodka spirytus. Its 96% alcohol. 151 proof rum is an option too, it's as high as 80% alcohol. They're easy enough to find online but kind of pricey.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shogun said:

I use Polish vodka spirytus. Its 96% alcohol. 151 proof rum is an option too, it's as high as 80% alcohol. They're easy enough to find online but kind of pricey.

9 hours ago, Personunknown said:

@Blue7733 apart from laws depending what country your in ,you have the means to make from scratch, from your first post:yinyang:

I’m in the Uk, hence can’t get the ethanol I need. Have you got a link or a method that I could get some ideas from. Appreciate any advice and ideas.

5 hours ago, Blue7733 said:

99.98% lab grade ethanol,

I doubt it's what they say it is unless they are charging an absolute fortune for it. You'd be better going with the Polish one (spirit of the forest) at least it will be what it says it is.

Iso is fine as long as you make sure you evaporate all of it off. You don't want to be consuming that!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KC said:

I doubt it's what they say it is unless they are charging an absolute fortune for it. You'd be better going with the Polish one (spirit of the forest) at least it will be what it says it is.

Iso is fine as long as you make sure you evaporate all of it off. You don't want to be consuming that!

Appreciate the advice, I’ve just about given up looking for somewhere else for the food grade ethanol, does anyone know what happened to liquid essence. So it’s kinda of a toss up between iso 99.9% or the lag grade ethanol

Iso is fine if purged fully:yinyang: Either that or turbo yeast and your still :stoned:

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 2

@Blue7733 Just so you know for the future mate, you cannot buy 100% pure ethanol, the moment it is exposed to air it absorbs some water and loses that purity. The lab-grade ethanol you mentioned above is pure, the 0.02% contamination will be water and is fine to use for extracts.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, green_machine said:

@Blue7733 Just so you know for the future mate, you cannot buy 100% pure ethanol, the moment it is exposed to air it absorbs some water and loses that purity. The lab-grade ethanol you mentioned above is pure, the 0.02% contamination will be water and is fine to use for extracts.

Thank you for your advice. I’m going to try a run with both iso and lab grade ethanol, see how I get on. I’m just gutted I can’t get the food grade ethanol from liquid essence, I got excellent results and felt a little more comfortable using it. Any other tips and advice are always welcome and appreciated.