5” Carbo vs Mountain

latitude54

As the title suggests, which is better for the money? 

People recommend both.. However the CarboAir 50 is £45 cheaper than the Mountain Air. Is the latter worth the extra money in a 1.2 x 1.2 or would the CarboAir be more than sufficient? 

If we aren't considering things like operating conditions, pressure on the fan etc and we're being sensible and replacing our filters every 12 - 18 months, it makes sense to just get the carboair filter. If we're gonna live dangerously and run our filter until we've got a stink then maybe a mountain air is the way to go... I've never heard of a carboair lasting years and years, but I have mountain air. 

No two environments and filters are the same though, and things can and will go wrong. I would never advise running a filter to failure point, and always replacing it as above, every 12 - 18 months, before any failures do happen. 

If ya wanna get really para about it, replace your filters before they die and keep the old one in case there is an issue with the new filter so you've got a temporary measure to hand if it decides to pack up at 8pm at night and the grow shops not open till 10am the next morning!

• Like 5

Not sure carboair are worth the price after seeing this thread unfold. 

I use Fox Filters myself and they've always been fine for me, but I have heard a few people complain that they've failed prematurely so I'd be hesitant to recommend. 

Phresh, mountain air and swiftair all seem to get consistently good feedback. 

I like the look of the hydrolab ones, although they're currently out of stock. Anyone used them before? They seem like the best spec for the price. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

I fitted a new Carboair last March and have just changed it as it whiffed last cycle. I’ve had three or four since they came out including a Six inch . Not one has gone passed a year , maybe I’m fussy but if I smell my grow it gets changed. I’ve even got a fan and controller that Mr Collins owner from

global air suggested I use still had issues just before a years use. It may have been humidity but the problems been consistent since I started using Carboair. The fan and controllers ace . I did used to get mountain air and had no issues. My local shop has to special order them so I’ve got a rhino this time. Bit annoying as rhino and carbo are the same owners again lol .  
the filter isn’t just held with ratchets there’s hooks also used. Then I tie rope round also

so there’s three points of failures lol 
 All joins are taped with Vapour sealing foil tape then quality fast clamps to seal the seals. The duct is also connected properly . 

large.63F8465D-5473-4B31-952A-8389D685F1B2.jpeglarge.C220B22A-D2CF-4871-A2E8-2332D3ADD7C4.jpeg

That’s it for now till next time take it easy…:oldtoker:

• Like 5

Carbo air for me, but I cant speak on the other brand.

Mine has gone about 2 years, and still isn't even giving out the slightest whiff.

I have had a few different carbo airs and they have all worked as they should, so for me, they are a trusted brand. 

I use rhino at the moment so far so good 18 months I think has anyone used infinity filters I going to try and buy most of my stuff off Adam on here because he looks after you after the sale been hard work off other sellers 

Since getting the LEDs in,

I've been running an 8" CarboAir 60 in The Bloom-room and a 6" CarboAir 60 in the Secret Jardin dr150.

These have been used almost continuously(a week or two from harvest completion to get the next batch ready) since around October 2020(2 years and 9 months so far),

still no sign of any escaping smells.

I did buy a replacement sleeve for each about a year ago but I haven't gotten around to changing them yet :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 3

@ShumroomNever used carbo air , but thats about the time frame i ran my mountain air 150 mm for before swapping for the same again, ram air are good value imho if on a budget:stoned:

• Like 1

I used a  Mountain Air for probably well over 10 years with zero smell. I sealed the ends of the dust cover with aluminium tape to keep all dust out which I think helps longevity. I also had to change the dust cover several times.

Now I have a Carboair 60mm that is still working perfectly after 18 months or so.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

My carboair 60 is starting to make a whiff after just over 2 years not too bad , just bought a mountain air this time , hope it don’t take too long to get ere  :mellow:

• Like 1