coco and peat free organic living compost

CDF20

High guys,

I am planning my next grow and want to try grow fully ORGANIC - only water and top dress maybe teas. Yeah, yeah, yeah I watched too much Mr Canucks videos :hippy:

Most of cannabis living composts either PEAT or COCO based. I don't want use them for environmental reasons and looking for a WORKING alternatives.

I will grow indica photos in starter 0.5l then repot into 11l (veg for 5-6 weeks) and then repot into 19l pots to flower and leave up to the harvest. I will use 4-4-4 for veg and 2-4-8 for bloom dry amendments. 

There is too much information online and it's very hard to sieve through what is really works and what's not hence I decided to ask you ORGANIC growers to chime in and help me out. 

For example base soil from OT1 back to 2005 is 

60% coir

30% ewc

10% perlite

Can I substitute coir with organic compost and then add minerals and nutrients to make it as close as possible to living soil?

Thanks! 

Pretty sure @blackpoolbouncer uses a mix of home made compost, WCs And Biochar to great effect so short answer is yes. 

I used Dalefoot (wool and bracken compost) when I set up my no till bed, it's good stuff but I got unlucky and mine was full of fungus gnats. There are other similar products out there, sylva grow is another I've used but I didn't get on with very well.

Talking of no till, if you went that route you would only have to buy the peat/Coco once. In a way that might be better over time than using peat/Coco free but disposing of it.

• Like 2

@MindSoup That`s a good news!

Thanks, mate! 

Yeah, I found his diary and key ingredient is COMPOST. There is no way to find commercial good quality compost and your post above just confirms it. 

• Like 1

Just setting up a new bigger bed. Going peat free. Lots of biochar well charged, lots of pumice, worm cast and probably a bit of leaf compost/woodland topsoil are the major ingredients. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

If you want to go living soil 19l pots ain't gonna cut it.

Now I'm confused even more :smoke:as last Canucks grow was exactly like this and he did ok. 

Seen few IG grows with living soil in autopots and they did quite ok too. 

Am I missing something??? 

I found soilfixer compost peat and coco free with biochar in it 10% though so need another 20% and elixir has a ewc. I am happy to spend more money to load the soil with minerals and nutrients if needed. 

Can't believe organics is so complicated 

15 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Just setting up a new bigger bed. Going peat free. Lots of biochar well charged, lots of pumice, worm cast and probably a bit of leaf compost/woodland topsoil are the major ingredients. 

Do you do leaf compost yourself mate or it's commercial? 

Sorry , to bomb you with questions but what minerals and nutrients would you add to this base soil if you go living soil in pots?

1/3 compost

1/3 ewc

1/3 biochar

and 10% top soil?

I just don't want to purchase peat or coco soils/composts 

Thanks !!!

Edited by CDF20

Anyone knows commercial premium top soils for sale? 

I found everything I need but topsoil. 

1/3 compost soilfixer

1/3 ewc from Ben IO

1/3 biochar soilfixer

10% topsoil in search

As for nutrients I decided to use Ben's notill amendment kit and life-cycle 2kg each per 50kg of mix.

I wouldn't regret if I fail but I definitely will regret if I wouldn't try. 

At the end of the day I have a backup OSW'90 in DWC!

I didn't use any top soil myself, so I wouldn't worry too much, you could always take a shovel out somewhere and "harvest" some from a woods. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I didn't use any top soil myself, so I wouldn't worry too much, you could always take a shovel out somewhere and "harvest" some from a woods. 

That's good idea, mate. Thanks. Will have a walk tomorrow to see what's available around.

Any particular signs to look after? I know places with a lot of sting nettle and sphagnum moss.

Edited by CDF20

3 minutes ago, CDF20 said:

Any particular signs to look after? I know places with a lot of sting nettle and sphagnum moss.

As good a place as any by the sounds of it. Will boost your soil life a whole.lot as well. 

Oh yeah, just to make sure, are you clued up on charging your biochar? Might not end well if you make a fresh soil mix and plant straight into it. 

• Like 1

@FarmerPalmersNT thanks. There are plenty places like that. 

@MindSoup thanks . I have a biochar from soilfixer seems like their compost and biochar granules charged already but I wil sent them email to double check . 

• Like 1

Stupid questions: 

1. Do I have to cook mix? If yes how long and how often to turn?

2. Can I start from seed in this mix or better root riots and then into mix? 

Thanks guys.

Really appreciate your help !