Horse manure

Right people I have rushed a little without further thinking , I added a ton of semi fresh horse manure ontop of a existing compost pile horse 80% compost 20% I today found a large mound of freshly cut wood shavings and took a few bags home and put ontop of manure .

Should i leave like a mulch ontop of flattened pile or fork it in to speed up decomposing. 

Also would the wood shaving/chippings be better as a mulch ontop or added into soil ?

Sorry if wrong section please move if not appropriate 

I’d mix everything in personally. Both will break down quicker in the heap rather than on top.

I may be wrong and happy to be corrected if someone knows better :yep:

Edited by Cursed
  • Like 1

I tried three times to answer u butty but each time i deleted it  as i haven't a frigging clue. lollollol 

But would like to know a bit more as i added a scuse the pun a shitload of it to my outdoor bed last November.

• Like 1

If your adding it to the compost heap then I'd mix it in with the manure, but it would also be a good mulch material so if you want to add it to a plot/bed then just chuck it on top. 

Fork it all through man , semi fresh horse shit sounds like it might be a little hot so get it diluted down with plenty of other stuff :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Thank you my mates ill apply all advice given .

Contrasting reviews reading on Google searches so least I trust u guys more than a generic Google review

Mix it but the chips are down and will take time like long time to start breaking down but won’t do any harm especially if if it’s gonna be a regular plot peace Goohfy.

8 hours ago, B-real said:

Should i leave like a mulch ontop of flattened pile or fork it in to speed up decomposing. 

by adding wood....( browns) ..you slow down the decompossing..... :( 

you pile from what i saw in pics has little straw or hay ,,,, so is decomposing fast by the worms......

Edited by DutchFox

I can't speak towards use with cannabis, but my grandfather used to use horse manure every year on his smallish pasture where he planted a vegetable garden.  

We always let the horse shit sit for a period of time after it was disc'd into the native soil.  I was always told "green" manure would almost certainly burn the plants if it wasn't allowed time before planting into it. 

I have read, from what seems to be a reliable source, that worms LOVE horse shit. 

If it were me, I'd turn it all in together and get some worms in it, if they aren't already there.  That should speed up things as much as you can hope for.  

Thanks guys mowed the lawn today added some green to it to try and get it heated up abit .

If its not ready this season then next season will be a interesting one to see if its explosive .

Got a feeling I'm gunna use it as mulch after plant out.

Ok @B-real the wood chips will take a long time to break down keep turning pile over plenty of air flow won't go mouldy thing with horse shit is if your pile doesn't get hot enough which is difficult you get weeds growing when you mix into ground due to the horses eating flowers etc in field you know when it's ready it will be dark rich and smell of nothing earthy hope this helps but it will give plants a massive boost mix in about a month before planting

Give it a good mixup - you always want to aim for a 50/50 browns and green ratio in your compost pile... Sawdust is the ultimate over shavings for speed. Lawn trimmings also heat up proper rapid, so a great addition. In terms of horse manure itself.... Generally use this in worm bins as even with cold composting - it converts very quickly. Make sure it´s aged to avoid any issue with worm pills, vaccinations or anything similar. 

• Like 2

On 22-1-2023 at 0:47 AM, InTheSystem said:

Give it a good mixup - you always want to aim for a 50/50 browns and green ratio in your compost pile... Sawdust is the ultimate over shavings for speed. Lawn trimmings also heat up proper rapid, so a great addition. In terms of horse manure itself.... Generally use this in worm bins as even with cold composting - it converts very quickly. Make sure it´s aged to avoid any issue with worm pills, vaccinations or anything similar. 

correct but topic starter wants in his first post to speed up the proces....

adding greens and browns slows it down....

ps plenty youtube movies how to work with greens and browns and piles....hot and cold decomposing...

• Like 1