Too many old PC's..

Slippy One

Hi all, what do you do when you have too many old PC's due to various upgrades. I'd like to sell the parts from 2 of them but have no idea if there's a market for things or better off recycled?

I'd never buy a 2nd hand GPU without testing it first, so maybe it's better to sell the machines running instead of all the separate bits? Any value in the precious metals inside?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Drill holes through the hdd's, leave outside in salt water, bin the rest in recycling bin.

The market for GPU's has gone, loads of over supply now bitcoin isn't hashing in the west. Lots of memory is still pretty good priced brand new. If you can't use it, check online for prices, but also check in local town - local parts s supply can be easier on postage costs and time and effort of going round with 'customers'. A local market doing repairs etc. etc. or donate the parts to a local project.

Few options. I always rust the drives, though.

• Like 3

There is software that can wipe a drive and fully rewrite over the previous data so it is impossible to recover, that way you can earn that little bit extra cash seling a 2nd hand pre build. almost every 2nd hand pre build has a 2nd hand drive in them.

• Like 3

Mine get used, then handed down to less important stuff, then down again, then binned. If your cycle isn't as long or deep, selling it can be a very good option. By the time mine retires they're failing or similar and I prefer the mechanical wipe.

• Like 4

I never sell HD’s. They bad occasionally but they get a 2nd life doing media duties on the media pc. 

it’s just mobos, ddr3&4 ram, gpu and CPU’s that I was going to bin but might try to sell the combos in 1 (ram-mobo-cpu). Surely someone will pay £100+ for a GTX1080 in original box? 

I find old iMac’s a bit sad on eBay.. lol 

• Like 2

I burned though two HDD in 3 years playing Arma 2

Now only use SSD's in my rig, I still have the very first one I bought, that has of course been relegated to games only years ago lol , I got 5 in there atm, running out of places to fit them in my case, a couple are just loose in the CD drive bays lol

• Like 2

That's what I used to do, now they go into a caddy which is more versatile and all my HD's are now NVME M.2 so no noise and very fast. I'm hoping to upgrade my rig for Flight Sim 2020 so looking at splashing on 13700k/4090 combo. I'm aware how much it will cost but cheaper than an actual plane! :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Hi all, what do you do when you have too many old PC's due to various upgrades. I'd like to sell the parts from 2 of them but have no idea if there's a market for things or better off recycled?

I'd never buy a 2nd hand GPU without testing it first, so maybe it's better to sell the machines running instead of all the separate bits? Any value in the precious metals inside?

Cheers.

Better off selling seperate mate :cowboy:

Bte 3090 is just as good as the 4090 I would say, 1k less 24gb ram same as 4090 and its not even a year old yet :george:

What gpu is it may I ask?

• Like 1

Markets, the ones you can get a pitch at. Car boot sales.

Ex of mine made a fortune, compared to expectations, selling old crap (she still does it, but on e-bay). When it comes to old electronics she could have sold a lot more, said there was a subset of bloke that would literally buy anything electronic.

Good fun too, I seem to remember she said.

• Like 1

Exile420, it's a GTX760 4gb and a GTX1080 8gb GPU. I'm hoping they get a few bob each. Good advice to sell all separately, that was my first thought. :yep:

Good advice on the 3090, waaaay cheaper and not much difference in frames. I see the 4080 is almost identical in frames as the 3080 only £800 more,.

The GPU industry is in a bind it would seem, the price doesn't reflect the performance.. :( 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Clubs said:

Strip them out and grow in them. :skin_up:

They're both BitFenix Prodigy cases which are tiny! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

Exile420, it's a GTX760 4gb and a GTX1080 8gb GPU. I'm hoping they get a few bob each. Good advice to sell all separately, that was my first thought. :yep:

Good advice on the 3090, waaaay cheaper and not much difference in frames. I see the 4080 is almost identical in frames as the 3080 only £800 more,.

The GPU industry is in a bind it would seem, the price doesn't reflect the performance.. :( 

I have the founders 1080 but I'm upgrading soon :D the 1080 8gb go for around £300 atm mate  ut not sure on the other but am sure you'll get a good price for it. 

Look up radeon 7900 I think it is, cheaper than 3080 and also performs better.

There going bk up in price atm to..

If you’ve never dabbled in networking, using old parts to set up a media server is a decent way to make use of stuff. The more HDD’s you have the better.

Check out Unraid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

If you’ve never dabbled in networking, using old parts to set up a media server is a decent way to make use of stuff. The more HDD’s you have the better.

Check out Unraid. 

Yeah been there, done that. Simba, homegroup, PLEX etc. It's a power hungry bunch of unnecessary ones & zeros. I see no need to have a server full of files I never use. I cast films to the telly from my phone so there's no need for the HTPC, which I'll sell as parts too. Difficult no to get a little sentimental, as I've had these machines so long and they've provided much joy.. 

Looking forward to all new hardware, I see m-atx mobos aren't as plentiful as they used to be, loads of ATX and Mini ITX.. 3090 does look like a solid GPU choice right now. Just be typical if the RTX 5090 came out the day after I buy a 3090.. lol

Still, £1795 for the cheapest 4090 can suck a dik. When did Nvidia become such price gouging cunts? Should be half that price! :( 

• Like 2