LED newbie - distance, power Qs

JimmyPage

I ran a couple of grows in NFT and found that winter growing isn’t easy, especially in a tent as imo they lose a lot of heat through conduction. If I were to do it again I’d consider using HPS, the savings in leccy are probably negligible as the heater is usually on lights on and off. Summer time, LED all the way. If you still have your ballasts and lights and are still

struggling, maybe dig em out?

Ftw, I grow all year round under LED now, but have a well insulated cab, that’s something else to consider……insulation :yep:

• 2 weeks later...

So here's where we were yesterday. Now in 12/12. Never seen a plant this nice looking at this stage. Presumably not being baked by the HPS helps.

Tent temps are 18-22, and nute temps (no heater) are stable at 19large.20230221_193719.jpglarge.20230221_193708.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/01/2023 at 7:28 PM, JimmyPage said:

proper PAR readings

u can do it with the 'photone' app and most smartphones

I would go for about 400 - 450 par in veg where ur at now, ramping up to 600 pre flower & 800+ after stretch

ive the same light as u, the 2.7umol, I found it underpowered in a 1.2m2, but u are in a 1m2, so u might fare better

I also figured that, once u get the hanging height sorted [I found 30cm optimal, but thats a 1.2..] u can use the dimmer for each growth stage i.e. 25% - seedling; 50% veg; 75% pre flower & obviously 100% when u get past stretch, and that gives a good approx PAR level u need at the time

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

I don't know if you have already or not, 

but make sure you enter the Growcast competition that's being run by @Joolz :)

Looking good, 

will you be topping her? 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good big healthy leaves and a big thick stem that heat roll you have on the back wall were did you get that does it have a controller or probe how much good job for first led grow mate

13 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

Looks good big healthy leaves and a big thick stem that heat roll you have on the back wall were did you get that does it have a controller or probe how much good job for first led grow mate

I got the heat roll instore from a chain of hydro suppliers - just happened to see it last year and got it as a "will be good to have" which is has been, without the heat of HPS.

It's controlled by a plug in thermostat - if you google "Econohome Adjustable Thermostat Plug - Heating & Cooling Plug In Thermostat Compatible With Wall Mounted Room Heater, Window Air Conditioner, Electric Fan - Universal Plug, Easy To Use Manual Controls" you'll get an idea.

A little bit of trial and error and setting it to just over 21 seems to keep the tent at 18/19 in an unheated room (I also have a max/min thermometer).

I was heating the nutes, but couldn't keep it below 22, so in the end with no heat they are ticking along at 18/19 too. I guess they equalise to the air temp over time.

Am quite happy that there are buds everywhere. Not quite sure if I should be trimming or pruning anymore, or just let it grow. It's still got another 18 inches it could go up before getting to the light (which can also be raised).

What I find interesting is the healthy leaves all over. I never managed to get that under HPS, and always had lower leaves yellow and wilt. I had always thought that was part of the cycle - despite a couple of growers telling (and showing) me on UK420 that it wasn't !!!!

But thanks ! I'm quite happy for a 1st LED grow.

Good stuff mate I take a look give them a trim after the stretch get rid of stuff that's not going to get any light

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK - latest update from Saturday (I would have posted then, but had problems uploading images).

Headline is that plant looks very healthy. However there has been very little stretching. Or growing out. So it's very dense. I am wondering if my 12/12 from seed accident has somehow prevented the stretch when you flip ????

Since these pics were taken I have noticed some yellowing of the middle leaves. Not the bottom, nor the top. Also some of the narrower leaves were trying to curl up.

Incredibly sticky and beautifully smelling buds though.

since the upward growing has stopped, I moved the light down. If I get some pics tomorrow folk can see.

Definitely in for a harvest of some sort. If I have known it was going to grow like this I would have tried 4 at once. Why not :) 

large.20230402_192814.jpglarge.20230402_192801.jpglarge.20230402_192753.jpglarge.20230402_192745.jpglarge.20230402_192733.jpg

• Like 1

So a bit of digging suggests there could a bit of light burn happening - leaves curling up.

Going to drop the power to 50%. I am gauging there are about 2 weeks to go - ish.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a wee update that the final dried yield was 123g.

However this is the best crop I have ever grown bar none. Certainly the closest to all the pics in the books.

Now to cure and smoke !

• Like 2