Decarb in food flask

catweazle1

Going to get a food flask shortly to try decarbing. The idea is to heat the bud and oil mix to somewhere around 125c in the microwave, then pour it into a preheated stainless flask and leave for half an hour. Anybody tried it? My only reservation is that the carbon dioxide liberated will reach too high pressure and rupture. It shouldn't explode as it's double skinned. I'll loosen the top half way to see if there is significant pressure trying to escape. In theory, it seems like a good way to have a smoother temp progression and maybe lock in terps. Anybody tried anything similar?

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

I'm no expert but it sounds like a recipe for half decarbed weed to me m8

When you say oil? If we're talking cooking oil, mct, coconut ... then you can do the decarb after the infusion 

Or if you want to do the decarb 1st you can do it at lower temps for longer like cooking food sous vide, to minimise losses and keep the stink locked in.

Graywolf has a few articles on the subject 

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/10-the-alchemist-resource/10-1-decarboxylation/10-1-4-decarboxylation-101/

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/10-the-alchemist-resource/10-1-decarboxylation/10-1-1-decarboxylation-of-tetrahydrocannabinolic-acid-thca-to-active-thc/

• Like 1

@Hippie on hill So far, I've blitzed my dry bud in a blender and mixed it in coconut oil and heated it on a lab hotplate at 120c for 30 minutes. I the put it capsules. It worked well with coconut oil, when I tried mct 8 oil I overdosed. I now get twice the number of capsules because I now add twice the oil content to the same amount of weed for the same effect. It turns out mct 8 holds twice the amount of cannabinoids nearly.

@geogeo I have an IR thermometer. I've already tried that part and reaching the temp accurately and reading is easy enough. To find out just kept having a read every minute. It's a few minutes. Once you know, it's straightforward to just turn the dial to the right time everytime as long as your amounts are the same.. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Most slow cookers on low setting keeps the oil at 120C. Perfect for an oil decarb. Slow cookers cost nearly the same as a decent thermal flask. :yep:

• Like 3