Gnat outbreak near end of flower

BushDoctoR

Hey all!

Had an ongoing fungus gnat problem for a while. While I haven't managed to beat them completely I can normally control them pretty well using nematodes and sticky traps to the point I forget they're even an issue. This grow I forgot to apply nematodes early on as I normally would and I've seemingly taken my eye off the ball as I've only just noticed a pretty major outbreak at 7 weeks flower (probably running her for 9-10 weeks)

Obviously at this stage ordering in todes and then applying and waiting for them to work will be pretty pointless as the grow isn't far off completion but I need to do something as they're out of control and theyre starting to find their way to my next batch and mums in the veg box which is what I'm more concerned about

I need a quick acting solution that will significantly lower numbers but isn't going to disturb or taint my buds at such a late stage. I'm thinking peroxide may be my best option but my concern is that such a high concentration so late in flower could shock the plants and prolong flowering which means the infected coco is hanging around even longer than it needs to. I don't have any experience using peroxide on plants at the high doses needed for FG, so don't really know how - if at all - it's likely to affect flowering. Anyone have any experience or advice regarding this?

Another option is treat the veggys (which obviously I'll do anyway) and just leave the flowering girls to get on with it as its too late to save them. This will of course mean the numbers continue to increase unless I crop early which I really don't want to do if it can be avoided. Aside from the party going on down below they're going great on top and I'm really looking forward to nice crop.

If I'd spotted this at any other time I'd have a wealth of other options available and wouldn't have even posted this but this has really got me stumped as to what the best course of action is here! Need some help making a decision!

My current diary for these girls for anyone interested:

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/424422-gelato-41-seedstockers/&

TIA

B-Dr

Peroxide would be the fastest and most effective. 1 part 3% solution to 4 parts water (adjust if using a higher % solution). Drench the soil with it and the larvae will be killed. Sticky traps will help reduce the adult population. Peroxide will also oxygenate the soil which might give your plants a wee boost.

• Like 1

Just stick yellow sticky traps everywhere especially close to the base of the plants. I cut mine up into smaller pieces and put them everywhere. You only have a couple of weeks to go so no worries at all. Chill

Owd

• Like 4

Guest anarchycamp

Just had the same issue in last 3  weeks of flower, cut up sticky traps on sticks, fly sticky trap wrapped around pot top and a tub of vinegar/washing up liquid in a sealed tub with holes in. 

And a sneaky dry back shhh

Cheers guys! Already sticky trapped up so all good there, will throw some vinigar traps in too. I'm aware that I'm threating over a relatively minor issue, I was mostly having trouble with my indecisiveness more than anything lol

Ride it out it is!

Gnats aside she's looking pretty tasty upstairs 

large.20230105_213212_copy_993x1325.jpg

• Like 5

I think you will be OK. Gnats are a pain with flowering plants. Your plants look fine.

Treat your vegging plants with your <<Favorite brand>> of Nematodes & don't over water.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Stick traps plus tankin put into your watering schedule. We had a grow recently with loads of fungus bats started using tanlin all the way round the room floor was covered in dead nats.

• Like 1

A few years ago I used gnat off that worked well.I've just seen some tablets from The Mosquito Company, Fungus Gnat Larvae Killer,25 tablets that are good for 250 litres,no idea if they're any good or not,they're only £17

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

Stick traps plus tankin put into your watering schedule. We had a grow recently with loads of fungus bats started using tanlin all the way round the room floor was covered in dead nats.

Funnily enough I've been using tanlin. I have an old bottle knocking about but it's never worked for me. From what I understand it's made from mosquitos or something along those lines and I believe its bacillus thuriengis (sp?) that's the active ingredient and I can only assume the bacteria were all dead before I bought the bottle because its never done anything at all. I've heard plenty of good things about tanlin and other mosquito based products before, I was pretty gutted when it had no effect tbh. Will try getting some from a better supplier next time round

Edit: Just done some digging and tanlin is actually chitin extract, which i dont actually know anything about. I'm sure it has a mosquito somewhere on the bottle which is where Ive got them confused. I do remember reading it needs to be stored correctly though so my bottle was still a dud I guess

Edited by BushDoctoR
  • Like 1

@BushDoctoR

You know bushdoctor don’t want to piss you off more lol this bottle is from around 2017 ish and just left in a box in the barn so probably stored in less than ideal conditions lol was putting 3 drops in 10 ltr watering cans . All round the edges of that room there was loads of dead gnat’s your storing it wrong bro lol 

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
  • Like 1