Finally got a press

sterling-archer

Mrs got me a lovely 10 ton workshop bench press and a set of 7x4 plates for Xmas :D

I will have to weigh some out but in 90 bags, 3 minutes and 8 ton on the gauge ( I know calcs are needed for proper pressure reading) it came out lovely and golden plus a nice yield.

Straight out the freezer into bag and pressed. Onwards and upwards just hope I can make it all last until next chop :)

Pump unit weeps a tad it seems is this normal when using presses like this? Or shall I chase for a new pump ? I've only ever used presses for pressing as oppose to holding pressure so not sure what it does to a Chinese unit. It holds pressure reasonably well. .25 ton drop in gauge over few mins.

I must say I looks absolutely effing huge on my office table lol

Sterl

• Like 5

@sterling-archer

Hello fella, Welcome back!

Go on then chuck some pics up !! Its all good and well describing to us what your press looks like and what rosin you are getting but we want pics!! lol 

BTW the pump unit should not weep at all i would look at getting it replaced or repaired as it will just get worse the more you use it.

:smokin:

Pics!! 

• Like 5

Congrats

I've been on the hunt for a cheap rosin press, so many out there but the ones that look decent are just a bit more than I can afford atm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lildaveham said:

@sterling-archer

Hello fella, Welcome back!

Go on then chuck some pics up !! Its all good and well describing to us what your press looks like and what rosin you are getting but we want pics!! lol 

BTW the pump unit should not weep at all i would look at getting it replaced or repaired as it will just get worse the more you use it.

:smokin:

Pics!! 

Cheers buddy Il get some pictures up :)

And that's a shame, I've just bled a load of air out of it so I'll give it another run and see if it leaks, If so it's a warranty claim I guess. It's all brand fire new. 10 ton with separate ram and pump. No leaks anywhere else just pump unit.

• Like 3

That's a put together in 10 minutes set up btw. I'll make it neater etc long term. I literally got it going asap Xmas day lol

• Like 3

The pump shouldn’t be weeping at all . I have a post somewhere on how to bleed a hydraulic pump etc in one of my rosin threads here , somewhere I’ll see if I can find it .same press I use as well 

found it if you seal every join with ptfe tape should be a fix for weeping , any questions hth 

Edited by Arthur Mix
Add
  • Like 4

Nice bit of kit. Often tempted to get something similar but should just get some heat plates some year this century! I have an old Blacksmiths vice, the type with a long vertical, threaded shaft. It'd just about squeeze water out of stone, well, you'd have to gauge it roughly I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

The pump shouldn’t be weeping at all . I have a post somewhere on how to bleed a hydraulic pump etc in one of my rosin threads here , somewhere I’ll see if I can find it .same press I use as well 

found it if you seal every join with ptfe tape should be a fix for weeping , any questions hth 

I did suspect it wasn't normal but wanted to ask incase this was press abuse using it this way.

It's weeped from the shaft on the pump ( drive shaft for pressure) linked to handle and dipstick perhaps.No leaks on PTFE areas.

I'll give it a good bleed again and test it before firing up the warranty . Are you sure it reads level wise vertical? I did wonder if you checked kn flat on a bench instead with it removed from the press 

Edited by sterling-archer
  • Like 1