Duct sliencers

Slippy One

Any one using a duct silencer? I'm currently researching the next level in quietness, like a leepy type box for an already quiet fan. I'd like to reduce or eliminate extraction noise completely or am I chasing a fantasy? 

Put my AC Infinity in an insulated box outside the cupboard, with a duct silencer attached to reduce wind noise.. 

Anyone else think it's doable? Maybe someone already uses a duct silencer to great effect? 

• Like 1

I used to use one, just before the carbon filter in my groom. It was a 35 quid (at the time), bendy one - not the best, but it did indeed quieten. However, with the extra resistance I found I had to turn the mechanical controller up from 1 to 2, which negated the gains a little...but there was still some gains.

Wasn't arsed about the outlet, but I presume that one there, too, would have meant another notch (so, 3).

Wind noise:

I read smooth solid plastic pipes, with corner pieces if needs be but strait as ya can, taking care not to have sticky out bits, and big gaps in the joins - basically 'roughing up' the air flow - also gives results, but never tried it. Nor the padded type.

Basically, for my set up at the time, the cheapo thing ticked the box, just about.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

yes youre chasing a fgantasy lol. :smokin:

i use them on my 315mm fan ducting. they do reduce noise a bit, but not a huge amount if im perfectly honest.

best bet is to increse the size of your extract ducting, as its the air travelling thru the duct that makes the noise more than the fan

• Like 4

With @badbillybob on this one, was on a quest for the quietest set up a few years back and although I’ve never owned a silencer my local shop give me a demo with a phresh one and I wasn’t that impressed tbh. Sticking a reducer and 8” phonic trap on my 6” silenced ec fan gives me the best results I think I’m going to get with flexi ducting 

• Like 1

Not possible for all but having the fan up in the loft is great. Even at 100% i don't hear anything downstairs.  The right tools make a clean job which is easy to repair if you keep the cut out. 

I think @badbillybob is right mate don't think u will get rid all together.

I have stopped a lot of it though and i know not a solution for u unless u know someone who uses a spray booth.

I use it on the outside of the cab cover the extraction hole it sort of diffusses the air so no wooshing or wind sound thing is as its designed for spray booths it lets maximum air flow through it so you don't have to turn your fan up.

We use three types in our booths a thinner one which we change often the inner one about every 6 months and there's a much denser one we use on the roof mainly.

The inner one is what i use i am sat as i type this next to my cab and its no louder than a PC.

Saying that i got a pc fan in there that's got a bit of a wobble so causing a slight vibration that i need to sort out.

Think i know which one it is but been putting it off. lol

Try and get pally with someone who sprays cars etc and stuff some in ur ducting.

1 hour ago, AngryDuck said:

Not possible for all but having the fan up in the loft is great. Even at 100% i don't hear anything downstairs.  The right tools make a clean job which is easy to repair if you keep the cut out. 

This is what I was thinking, having the fan in another box, in another room.. Guess I'll need to think more about this.. 

Maybe the best bet is the giant 10" extract fan for the cupboard (currently 4") and run it on very low. Only problem is the 10"'ers are massive, and so are their filters.. 

better to keep your fan reasonably sized mate, and just get a reducer from fan to outlet, say a 6 inch fan to 10 inch ducting would do the trick nicely. if you have a big fan just tiocking over they sometimes dont create enough cooling to keep the fan motor cool enough and it will burn out quick smart.

ideally want the fan running at least 40%

• Like 1

I've run a 6"fan onto a few metres of good quality 10" acoustic ducting, fan built into an 18mm thick mdf box. It was completely silent next to the unit and near silent at the exhaust end. If the fan is on a high setting and you want to eliminate noise from the filter, a metre or so of acoustic ducting between the fan and filter does the trick.

Waste of cash IMO,gave my away

Was like 50 in growshop I think,maybe go for custom one,guess you can make it better at home with that budget

6 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Any one using a duct silencer? I'm currently researching the next level in quietness, like a leepy type box for an already quiet fan. I'd like to reduce or eliminate extraction noise completely or am I chasing a fantasy? 

Put my AC Infinity in an insulated box outside the cupboard, with a duct silencer attached to reduce wind noise.. 

Anyone else think it's doable? Maybe someone already uses a duct silencer to great effect? 

yes a duck silencer help a lot. ! :) 

over sized soft box and oversized diameter of duck help to slow down the windspeed too.....

also.... in day time there is always more background sound...trafic etc etc 

in wind still and at night there is nearly no background sound........so know when to have lights on...

also dont 4get vibrations...also of a soft box....hang them vibration free.....in the box...and the box itself too...its often vibrations that annoys neigbours.....and it can travel far...

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

I'd get a duck call and hang it upside down from a tree beside another neighbours pond, add some decoys to the pond. 

• Like 1

Right so silencers clearly do fuck all? Really? 

Has anyone ever lined them all up and tried them, like a silence test? 

I see some have acoustic foam baffle with nobbly bits (must be good), vs some baffles that just have perforated sheet metal, like a reversed carbon filter, which must be shit compared to foam, as sheets of metal are resonant. 

If I was a rich man, I'd just buy everything and anything silencing, test the gear for the quietest of the lot and return the duds, but I'd need thousands as there's so much out there. 

I just tried the random one from growshop,maybe there is better duno

Saw that new fancy acoustic ducting if someone remembers how it's called exactly as I cant. Maybe that makes a difference