Golden syrup instead of molasses!?

reds

Evening all,

I'm just about to start some beans and I had to use what ever was available due to money constraints and the time of year/postal workers striking/Christmas mail bullshit so I've mixed up a batch of coco, worm castings, a handful of Verve compost and a load of RootGrow granules that I found in the back of my cupboard.  Well, most of this lot was found around my yard. I've mixed up roughly 60-75% coco,20-25% castings and the rest made up of the little compost I had left and a nice generous dose of RootGrow myco. I dont have any molasses here and it's not an easy thing to obtain where I live so can I use Tate/Lyle Golden Syrup to feed the microherd/bacteria/soil? I also have some PMagic Oldtimers Bloom nutes and some PMagic Biosilicon I could use although they are a bit old. But they smell the same as when I bought them. I know the Oldtimers Organic Bloom  nutes has molasses in it and using Bloom nutes for seedlings/cuttings due to its higher PK ratios to aid rooting and root growth. 

This is my first grow in about 2or3 years so I'm feeling a little anxious even popping the seeds.I've been stuck even with the way I should pop the seeds. Should I use paper towels, RootRiot cubes, into straight water first until they sink, or just straight into my coco&wormcastings mix. I've used all those methods in the past and they've all done the job, without any of them really being any better than the next. So yeah, I'm making what should be really easy and straight forward into a complete nightmare for myself! So if someone could help me out and elevate some of the pressure I'm putting on myself it would be a God send.

Thank you very muchly,

Reds.

PS I think I'll do a diary with this lot coz it's a micro grow, which I have no experience in at all. I've always been lucky enough to have a big area to grow in so people with experience in this area would be dead handy. I say micro, it's a closet that's  70x58x210cm. But I will be putting a 60x60x140or160cm tent in there. I want to have everything contained in the closet. So its stealthy. To an extent. Still under construction atm, but I'm getting there. Yeah,  a diary it is. It'll be fun and I can get some pointers on growing in a closet/cupboard and managing and training these plants to fit the tent. I've missed growing so much that even tho I only had this size area to work with, I was like 'I can make that work. People grow in much smaller areas than mine and do some amazing work. I've seen monster grows in 2x2 tents. So that's the plan. Going old skool with the strains as well. AK47, Blueberry, N.Lights and White Widow. I've always grown multi strain grows as i have to have variety. And I find it more interesting working with different plants, with different needs. Working in soil with organic feeds you can do it a lot easier. In a hydro setup feeding from 1 rez, that jus ain't happening. 

I'm sorry again. Why do I write so much shit.

I apologise. I'll make conserted effort to keep it brief and to the point in future. I'm high and get lost in thought and get carried away. Should try writing a book. 

Cheers 

Reds.

• Like 3

I wouldn't bother with molasses or anything similar, just stick to the bloom nutes.

[edit]

Proper AK47 is an unstable strain, some plants grow quite big and stretchy, probably not a good choice for a small grow space.

Edited by SmokeTester

Black Treacle is basically what Americans call molasses. So you could use that. Dunno about Golden Syrup, maybe too refined?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SmokeTester said:

I wouldn't bother with molasses or anything similar, just stick to the bloom nutes.

[edit]

Proper AK47 is an unstable strain, some plants grow quite big and stretchy, probably not a good choice for a small grow space.

It's funny you say that coz the ak47 is actually called Kalashnikov and is supposed to be a more stable and easier to grow from of Serious Seeds AK47. What truth is in that waits to be seen. But thanks for the heads up. I will be using a net before flipping them. Hopefully that will keep her in line. 

Reds.

• Like 1

Yeah just don't bother with it, I'm not sure about using old nutrients but I'm sure there's a thread about it on here somewhere or information on the PM website maybe? 

• Like 1

Old nutes will be fine if they've been stored at room temperature without massive swings in temp and away from direct sunlight.

I'd swerve anything in a bottle that appears to have "blown" though.

:yinyang:

• Like 2