Soil choices

Celtic voyager

@Celtic voyager  Depends entirely on the compost really.

But if yer outdoor just dig a hole and grow in yer native soil, it'll be full of beneficials and have an already established microherd, plus yer plants will be more tolerant of drought conditions

:yinyang:

• Like 1

+1 for ammended native soil outdoors, unless you'll need to be able to move them of course. 

In regards to Coco/perlite/just plain compost. A decent lofty potting mix should be fine on its own providing you water it correctly, however it will be more prone to settling and getting waterlogged if you get it wrong. Adding Perlite/Coco will help mitigate the risk of over watering or watering too heavily (you want a nice gentle sprinkle not just a load dumped in at once) but at the expense of having less water retention and a bit less initial nutrients to keep them going in early veg (you'll have to start feeding sooner). 

So it's up to you really. Whichever option feels like it would fit your style better. If they're going to be outside in pots then you won't have full control over irrigation, so having some extra drainage would probably be preferable in case you get some prolonged wet weather. If they're going in a greenhouse and your confident about watering you might prefer to use pure potting mix. 

Edited by MindSoup
31 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

+1 for ammended native soil outdoors, unless you'll need to be able to move them of course. 

In regards to Coco/perlite/just plain compost. A decent lofty potting mix should be fine on its own providing you water it correctly, however it will be more prone to settling and getting waterlogged if you get it wrong. Adding Perlite/Coco will help mitigate the risk of over watering or watering too heavily (you want a nice gentle sprinkle not just a load dumped in at once) but at the expense of having less water retention and a bit less initial nutrients to keep them going in early veg (you'll have to start feeding sooner). 

So it's up to you really. Whichever option feels like it would fit your style better. If they're going to be outside in pots then you won't have full control over irrigation, so having some extra drainage would probably be preferable in case you get some prolonged wet weather. If they're going in a greenhouse and your confident about watering you might prefer to use pure potting mix. 

Hi mindsoup.

Thanks for the reply. 

The reasoning behind me using pots is, in case of bad weather, I can quickly and easily move them in doors if needs be. 

I'd be a bit worried about the soil/compost,  as you said, becoming to settled and compacted, holding to much water, and possibly causing root rot.

I think I'll go with the original plan, of a good quality potting compost, perlite and nutes.

I'll just keep a very close eye on them, and see how it goes.

I wouldn't be to confident in planting directly into the ground, I might just experiment with one, just to see what the out come could be.

Thank to everyone for all the replies.

Very helpful, and much appreciated 

Just now, MindSoup said:

Sounds like a plan dude, pick the right strains and bad weather shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

The strains I've picked are

Royal queen seeds 

Haze berry auto 

Easy bud 

Quick one 

And maybe Royal dwarf, or lowryder by expert seed bank.

Never heard of any of them TBH lol. If you want some of the best outdoor autos available anywhere then keep an eye out here for any future releases and grab yourself a pack of 2 of @brock1s beans, available when you subscribe here.  You won't get better value for money for top quality genetics anywhere. 

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

Never heard of any of them TBH lol. If you want some of the best outdoor autos available anywhere then keep an eye out here for any future releases and grab yourself a pack of 2 of @brock1s beans, available when you subscribe here.  You won't get better value for money for top quality genetics anywhere. 

Thanks for the heads up on brock1s seeds

I'll definitely keep an eye out for them.

The reason I went for these strains is, they do well outdoors in our climate, and their low thc %.

Yeah mate grab yourself a bargain. Not saying your choices weren't good ones, I don't seem to see either breeder being grown out/praised a whole lot but I'm not much of an auto grower TBH, I'm too heavy handed so they usually stunt on me lol. Brock's seem to be the most hardy/resilient that I've tried. 

On 18-12-2022 at 10:52 AM, Celtic voyager said:

Morning all..

Is standard organic potting soil/compost, bought from garden centres good for autos, with bio bizz nutes, grow, cal mag, fish mix and bloom,  added throughout the growing period. 

I've been reading up on various soil types on here, from canna terra professional to bio bizz all mix, with mixed results from users..

And input on this would be greatly appreciated 

in this link i posted 2 old school receips for outdoor and indoor....

for auto this can be all you need....

or if you see the need....use any vertiliser which are avaiable in bio or chemical...

Npk 101, Nutes And Ferts. - Page 2 - Guerrilla Growing - UK420

not everything need to be expensive....but ...a lot of people seem to like to pay more for weeds....  :) 

succes !!

• Like 1