Mixing compost or/and amendment for final pot up

finku

Hi, 

Currently using Canna Terra Pro+ soil (and nute's) and really like texture/consistency, but find it quit weak. Vegging is great but run into problems when the final (11L) pots are rooted and things get flipped to 12/12. Moving to a RO/Tap water mix helped (Cal/Mag defs) but bringing up the EC to 0.4 as per Canna's instruction with Cal/Mag isn't enough, 0.6 is about right.

One thing i have found is, potting up to 18L pots but not rooting them out completely before flipping to 12/12 really helps and smooths things out, which goes against general advice. I follow the Canna feed chart but air on the side of caution and read the plants the best i can... I just find the bottled nute's are not as good as the nute's premixed into the soil.

So i was thinking i could either/or/and:

- Mix some stronger soil with the Terra Pro+ into the final pot up. I have used some other soils in the past but found they compact alot.

- Add some Guano into the final pot up soil. The Vitalink one seems best for flowering?

I'm leaning toward the Guano route but maybe someone can give some suggestions?

P.S.  It never used to be like this. I started this hobby with 6L pots with Canna Terra soil/nute's and tap water and it was fine. I didn't get the same yield as i do now (maybe a factor) but the plants were healthy all the way through.

I found the pro plus quite weak, I prefer the professional myself. 

I don't really do any amendments but it might be worth mentioning that I stay on vega for the first 2 weeks in flower. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

I found the pro plus quite weak, I prefer the professional myself. 

I don't really do any amendments but it might be worth mentioning that I stay on vega for the first 2 weeks in flower. 

Yea i think i have seen you mention that before. I also keep on the Vega for a week or two after going to flower. Strangely there is a photo here that show Pro is weaker than Plus... Both are at the bottom of the table though. That Guanokalong Complete Mix looks like some hot shit! I'll get my coat....

Edited by finku
  • Like 1

You should be on vega for two weeks after flip.

With most compost you have enough feed till the pots rooted well to go I to flower and you can start vega on day 1. If its a lighter mix you just need to start feeding earlier accordingly.

Just sounds like your underfeeding in the transition period between soil nutrients and bottled.

2.5-3ml should see you right through the grow with terra nutes 

If your following the canna feed chart your probs giving about twice as much as the plants want 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer

Hi @blackpoolbouncer thanks for looking in. You did help a previous time i had similar issues, that time it was thought to be low Cal/Mag. This has been mostly sorted now. 

I don't follow the Canna schedule strictly. They never got more than about 3.5ml. The canna chart goes over 5ml on "light feeding" and over 7 on "heavy feeding"!!! Jesus i didn't know that, have they watered it down or has it always been like that??

Last run was quite confusing because i saw a bit of tip burn and paling leaves at the same time, then felt like i was chasing my own tail to the end. Also doesn't help that the last lot were a mixed strains of autos... They are gone now and didn't get any photo's...

So was hoping i could add something to the final pot-up to give the soil some more legs. Or maybe try some dry/slow release feeds? I don't know if they are meant to be any good? I can't go no-till at the moment.

Edited by finku