Hermie Action Plan

Absurdist

Hi Folks

I have grown without producing anything more than the very occasional seed for 16 years.

But my last three grows have been almost fully seeded and good only for oil.

The first two were fem seeds from a new to me breeder, and because I had not changed my set up at all, I was inclined to blame the genetics.

But my last grow was used tried and tested fem seeds that I had grown without any significant hermit issues, maybe 2 seeds per plant, that kind of thing.

They came back very heavily seeded, so this tells me that I have an issue somewhere that I need to find and fix.

Please help me with my list to make sure I catch everything!

1. Check for light leaks by climbing inside box

2. Check or replace the heavy duty timer - any ideas on how to check without sitting watching it for 24 hrs?

3. I have a strange issue whereby sometimes, when I switch on the flourescent tube light in my outbuilding, my 315 W CMH cuts out, waits to cool, then fires up again. But it has always done that and there weren't hermies before. I could replace the tube light with an LED just in case the light interruptions are stressing the plants.

4. Light stress? The box has low head room, and I have struggled to keep these last 3 grows away from the light. But this is nothing new.

Cheers

A

I'd perhaps also consider the possibility that the 2 new breeder seeds could have been a bit hermie-prone and there's still a coating of their pollen on the cab surfaces.
For that maybe wash everything down and then detol over it again?

• Like 2

A Hygrometer which you can connect to via bluetooth or whatever might be quite useful.

Aircomfort or sensorPush make ones which will give you a graph of all data points,

my first case of seeded buds were caused by low temps combined with problematic genetics.

Do you live near a commercial cannabis farm?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I'd bet on light leak,3 grows I'd go mental.

Can be light stress as well if it's so low box,check top of cannopy Temps.

As you said best to go in and sit for 20min see if it leaks ,ducting can leak, look from different angles. I had that happen with air-cooled lights and couldn't figure until I poked my head under reflector

Timers,extension cords can have lights on switch,oscillating fans as well,hell I'll go check my room today also started anew.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Atb

:yinyang:

That would be hilarious, I'd sue them for polen pollution lol

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Shumroom said:

my first case of seeded buds were caused by low temps combined with problematic genetics.

I've always had lowish temps so don't think that's the cause.

No commercial farms, I'm in Scotland.

• Like 2

Not ignoring the elephant in the room here...feminised products are nearly always faar more likely to chuck out nanas than anything else.

Change nothing but your seeds, chuck in arun of regs, remove any males before any harm can come and see if you still have a seed problem - get something off the collection here as a cheap option and support the site while you at it, win/win.

At least that way if you still have issues, you know it's enviromental and not strain.  My betting is you won't.

Edit: Deal with this: Don't veg your plants anywhere near as long as you are, or set a net over them and dion't allow them to pass before flicking.

16 hours ago, Absurdist said:

4. Light stress? The box has low head room, and I have struggled to keep these last 3 grows away from the light. But this is nothing new.

Edited by unity
added stuff

i'd definitely get that electrical issue sorted, could be a fire hazard in the making, certainly doesn't sound right tbh

you only need a few sacks to seed a crop, are you watching them through growth?

• Like 5

I'm with ratdog...   Get the interuptor or electrical issue fixed!

Edited by AustrianToker
e2a: ASAP
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ratdog said:

i'd definitely get that electrical issue sorted, could be a fire hazard in the making, certainly doesn't sound right tbh

you only need a few sacks to seed a crop, are you watching them through growth?

I missed that part

Yeah that could do it,power on and off.

That sounds like a major problem,315w is nothing as well as flous ,never heard someone has issues with such low watage,I'd get on that ASAP.

BTW thanks for thread,I walked in after I turned lights off today and found light leak from outake at ceiling,like big one,just 5 days in flower so hope it won't be hermied crop.

• Like 1

im suspecting the timer or ballast, or low temps or light leaks.

id also get electrics checked if ballast is tripping with light going on, sounds dodgy, especially as its just a 315w one. 

• Like 1

++1 to the comments above regarding your electric supply, apologies I didn't see that part.  For sure you have to 100% safe on everything regarding your electrics, and it definately sounds like something is not right somewhere as 315W should certainly not be tripping anything out - my pc can pull more than that.

• 7 months later...

An update for y'all.

I have now broken free from the Hermie curse.

After checking out my electrics and deciding they were fine, I swapped my old fluorescent tube for an LED. Et voila, no more CMH shutoffs when I switched on the room lights.

Yet another example of not dealing with an obvious issue for waasay too long. Thanks for the encouragement to sort it out.

• Like 2