Chlorine Neutralisers

BushDoctoR

Hey all,

Was wondering what the general consensus is regarding chlorine neutralising and how effective it is?

Once upon a time - like most growers - I believed that letting the feed sit 24hrs before irrigation allows the chlorine to evaporate. Its been some years since I learnt that was quite true due to most water companies using chloramine which iirc doesn't evaporate. Since then I've pretty much just accepted some of my microherd will be affected but haven't really done anything about it.

I've been doing some reading into chlorine neutralisers, ecothrive neutralise probably being the most common in hydro shops but it seems its simply ascorbic acid (vit c). Wondering if anyone has anything good to read on the subject or can share any information? I can find lots of mentions online of people using it - particularly in aquariums - but not really much regarding how effective it is, potential issues, dosage etc

On the one hand it sounds great but on the other, adding a chemical to counteract another chemical might not be the solution I'm after

Blessings :smokin:

BDr

54 minutes ago, BushDoctoR said:

regarding chlorine neutralising and how effective it is?

Short answer absolutely pointless lol

Long answer.

Chlorine neutralisers (vitamin C) certainly don't hurt, but in reality the amount of chlorine in tap water has little to no effect on the soil life and hardly makes it past the surface of the soil. Chlorine is actually a useable micro nutrient and plants "need" it although only in minute amounts. 

As for Chloramine, it does hang around a wee bit longer but again there's no real need to try and neutralise it. I can't remember the ins and outs of how and why but it will be in some old posts somewhere. This is all stuff I've read/been told on here by people who's opinion/knowledge I trust. 

So essentially I'd you want to use it it wont do any harm, but if you can't be arsed then you'll save some money and it won't do any harm either. 

@FarmerPalmersNT @blackpoolbouncer have I got that right? Did I miss anything? 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

@BushDoctoR

your chlorine levels or chloromine levels would have to exceed 5ppm for you to need to consider neutralisers. 

water companies are not allowed to increase levels above 4ppm or 4mg/l for drinking water with England and wales not exceeding 1ppm 1mg/l. 

Rule of thumb. 
if you can drink it so can your plants. 

Edited by JonDaMon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Short answer absolutely pointless lol

Haha I think I was kind of expecting that! lol

Thanks guys! Can always rely on the forum to debunk the nonsense!

• Like 2

Yeah mate its just another product grow companies try and convince you that you need. I fell for it lol, there's a bottle of ecothrive neutralise kicki about somewhere...