Curing

AnonyMice

I’m a bit confused around curing. I understand jars should be between RH 55%-62%.

If above 62 I should burp them. If my environment RH is high I should lay the buds out on a rack to lower RH. 

I’ve been advised that I shouldn’t open the jars so long as I am within that 55-62% range. That’s were I’m slightly confused. I thought the burping process releases chlorophyll & other bad stuff. I’m assuming all that stuff still happens in a sealed jar, and would be released when opening it in a few months. 

I think I’m on track. My jars are sealed 61% RH inside and I won’t be opening them until Christmas when I’ll test a bud.

Does it all sound right? 

• Like 1

If your jars are in range, in the first week or two of being in range you just need to burp them for about 10 seconds then close the lid again, do this once a day for the first couple of days then from there every 3 days for the rest of the week or two, after that once a week for the following two weeks, after that you should be able to go a lot longer without burping.

This is the method I read on the Internet and seems to work fine, but I'm sure everyone has their own tweaks and preferences :yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 4

It's always the problem in this country, high humidity. A good pointer is when YOU think your buds are dry, they tend not to be. I wet trimmed and dried mine recently. 14 days in the tent with extraction on low and kept humidity in the 40-50 range. The branches snapped clean, so into the jars they went. Burb every day and I felt a few buds and they were slightly spongey. I brown bagged them and kept them in an old small freezer (power off of course) a week later they still don't feel really dry. I have now moved the bags into a (large) cardboard box with a small tube heater on inside. I'm hoping that will dry them before they get re jarred. A good test re humidity. Get a well dried bud and leave it out for a few hours in the house. Guarantee you the bud will become slightly damp, and it won't burn well and be difficult to crumble.

• Like 1

@Military Grade Thanks buddy I’ll follow that exactly. Makes sense to me :) 

1 hour ago, Larry Badgeley said:

A good pointer is when YOU think your buds are dry, they tend not to be

Haha I learned that mate. They were in jar for a week, felt crisp and done. Then hygrometers arrived and measured 70%!lol 

23 hours ago, AnonyMice said:

@Military Grade Thanks buddy I’ll follow that exactly. Makes sense to me :) 

Haha I learned that mate. They were in jar for a week, felt crisp and done. Then hygrometers arrived and measured 70%!lol 

to know for sure....calibrate your hygrometer :)

• Like 2