Wood ash

Greenfingers420uk

Good day all, Do any of you add any wood ash to your soil mix? I understand we need to use it sparingly, so how much?

The ash to be used is just ash from a mix of woods.

It's probably better to use a single type of wood as the source, as the nutrient profile would be easier to predict (you can look up each species). I've used Palm tree ash in flower, as it is very high in potassium. Is it worth the risk of burning the plants, for an unknown amount/unknown type of nutrient ?

• Like 1

Best off using ash from fresh hardwood brush. Bare in mind adding a lot can increase soil PH, almost like adding lime.  

Ive only ever done it by eye, so hard to say how much to add. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greenfingers420uk said:

Good day all, Do any of you add any wood ash to your soil mix? I understand we need to use it sparingly, so how much?

The ash to be used is just ash from a mix of woods.

Ash from burnt wood is often good for the garden. The material is a rich source of lime, potassium and trace elements. Good news for the garden lover, because many plants need these substances to stay healthy, to grow well and to experience healthy bud development and flowering. Substances such as phosphorus and potassium also promote the winter hardiness of plants. While the exact composition of ash, of course, depends in part on the type of wood you use, the stuff usually contains 25 to 45 percent lime, about 10 percent potassium, and smaller concentrations of trace elements and mineral compounds such as iron, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum.

===============

i have used it only in winter time on plots with a low ph....i was only interested mainly in the lime... :) 

i would not use it in plots with ph 6.5 and more.

in beginning bloom....its said to do a tiny layer around the plants...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I wouldn't bother really, considering the guess work involved. I've never had much luck with it personally. Great on the allotment though.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Used it every time for the past 5 years, mainly because there’s a huge vat of it in my garden from a wood burning stove. Always thought it was a 2 for 1 because there’s a lot of charred wood in it also (aka biochar)
ammended a spot in a clay loam flower bed with a fair amount of wood ash few years back and had a 6 foot monster towering above the petunias !

• Like 6