Cloned cannabis cells with 12 times more potency are grown in Israeli bioreactor

dan6

genetically engineered ...

Bio-engineered!

Its not "synthetic" cannabis, it is "natural" cannabis grown in a highly unnatural way. "Vat grown" is never going to be sexy, but if it is indistinguishable in terms of chemo-profile from the real thing, what apart from aesthetics make it a bad thing?

The 12X potency claim should be taken with a pinch of salt. On a weight by weight comparison it is obviously going to be more concentrated than the whole plant - stems, leaves, roots and all.

2 hours ago, Boojum said:

The only thing 'better' is their profit margins if they actually get anyone to accept this shit.

The big selling point is (the claimed) consistency. Although they exaggerate the potential danger, clinicians have a point when they balk at prescribing a random cocktail. If the canna-pharma industry can produce homogenous products, they can be marketed as pharmaceuticals.

• Like 4

Just now, Simple Jack said:

The big selling point is (the claimed) consistency. Although they exaggerate the potential danger, clinicians have a point when they balk at prescribing a random cocktail. If the canna-pharma industry can produce homogenous products, they can be marketed as pharmaceuticals.

Precisely. They're all just looking for a way to make their 'cannabis' more marketable than the rest. It's all about the profits, not about making it better for the patients, or using fewer resources to produce it or any of the other bullshit they claim is their motivation, it's just about the money (like most other things in this tawdry little world).

• Like 3

@Boojum Sadly in this global financial capitalist world, most innovation comes with a profit motive. That doesn't necessarily make innovation bad in itself.

The cannabis industry will always be in competition with herbal cannabis. So far their profits have come from restrictive monopolies but long term they need to find a way of adding value. Pharmaceuticalisation is a license to bump up the profit margins by orders of magnitude. My concern is that this type of innovation will lead to suppression of plant derived cannabis for medical use on "safety" grounds, and by extension, recreational too.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

what apart from aesthetics make it a bad thing?

Have you ever heard of the expression "Too much of a good thing"? I'm not worried about it in a clinical setting, just like oxycontin when it's prescribed properly. Getting into an unregulated setting will be Oxycontin Trials 2... and wringing our collective hands all over again.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Simple Jack said:

what apart from aesthetics make it a bad thing?

The law of unintended consequences.

The more you process natural things that humans have spent millennia evolving alongside prior to consuming them the more harmful they become.

• Like 4

It's similar to yeast grown cannabinoids, it'll never be smoked, just pills, ediblles, creams and ointments without the faff of plants and electric. It's a good thing for companies like GWP, rendering their fuck off greenhouse surplus to needs. 

This and lab grown meat will help our species colonise the milky way. :yep:lol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cursed said:

everyone would have a go if offered some though, right?

Never again. I had an awful trippy experience once in my teens and witnessed many people fucked up from it. Scary shit 

You can bet the stuff their talking about making in Israel will just be another dangerous ‘legal’ high. There was so many different ‘synthetic cannabis’. 

Loads of people were hospitalised and some died - and fuck knows what’s even in it. 

• Like 1

Jeez, doesn't take much to trigger a daily mail reader reaction does it?

It is a novel way of growing cannabis. It is growing full spectrum cannabis from cloned cannabis cells. There is no genetic modification. There are are no synthetic cannabinoids.

There might be unforeseen problems from growing this way, but otherwise the worst case scenario is a product similar in strength to wax or shatter or rosin etc.

FFS get a grip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnonyMice said:

Never again. I had an awful trippy experience once in my teens and witnessed many people fucked up from it. Scary shit 

You can bet the stuff their talking about making in Israel will just be another dangerous ‘legal’ high. There was so many different ‘synthetic cannabis’. 

Loads of people were hospitalised and some died - and fuck knows what’s even in it. 

lots of sprayed weed flying about now

• Like 2

On 03/11/2022 at 11:08 PM, dan6 said:

An Israeli company has cloned hemp cells and used a bioreactor to grow them into a substance with all the active compounds of cannabis — and 12 times the potency.

@Simple Jack I think I overlooked this paragraph & misinterpreted it.. Thought it was some lab made replicated weed.

I’d definitely smoke a product only containing the active compounds of cannabis, 12x potency lol 

@dylant never encountered it thankfully. Seems like it would cost more to spray shit on plant than to just grow it though 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

@Simple Jack I think I overlooked this paragraph & misinterpreted it.. Thought it was some lab made replicated weed.

I’d definitely smoke a product only containing the active compounds of cannabis, 12x potency lol 

@dylant never encountered it thankfully. Seems like it would cost more to spray shit on plant than to just grow it though 

cheap weed from poland etc sprayed with synthetics

Edited by dylant
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

I think I overlooked this paragraph & misinterpreted it

I think it was that click bait opening paragraph that got everyone going.

14 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

12X potency :naughty:

• Like 1