Humidifiers

oldleafybeard1

Hi just wondering if humidifiers are generally used by people to stop humidity dropping too low during final days of drying, I pulled my first ever harvest a few weeks ago and I feel a bit like the plants dried a bit too quickly even though they were hanging whole, so considering getting one, but then I read seperately that all humidity should be extracted during drying so im a bit confused if its worth investing. The weed I got is fine and smokable, but it is a little bit harsh and im not sure which is to blame more the fact they dried in 6-8 days or the fact I had to take them down a little sooner than expected so the flush was also short, or a combination, Either way my next grow is vegging im keen to improve in this area so advice appreciated!

how did you dry it so fast in this weather, especially hanging whole? it's been very humid, and my humidity was 70% and stalled the drying after 2 weeks, i had to add a bit of heat for a few days to finish it off, i defo wouldn't add humidity though, you could lose the lot to rot quite fast

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, oldleafybeard1 said:

Hi just wondering if humidifiers are generally used by people to stop humidity dropping too low during final days of drying, I pulled my first ever harvest a few weeks ago and I feel a bit like the plants dried a bit too quickly even though they were hanging whole, so considering getting one, but then I read seperately that all humidity should be extracted during drying so im a bit confused if its worth investing. The weed I got is fine and smokable, but it is a little bit harsh and im not sure which is to blame more the fact they dried in 6-8 days or the fact I had to take them down a little sooner than expected so the flush was also short, or a combination, Either way my next grow is vegging im keen to improve in this area so advice appreciated!

It would almost definitely be down to the shorter drying time if my experience is anything to go by.  Too quick or too hot and you end up with less flavour and more harshness.

ratdog's comment definitely rings is completely true according to my experience and practically all of my research.  Try to preserve the moisture that is within the plants as long as it is safe to do so (you dont want them wet and lukewarm for long periods as mould will come, but neither do you want them to dry in high temperatures, with too much breeze or too low a humdity.) but don't add humidity to the air close to the drying plants, or let the humidity rise too high - if at all possible. I have a tiny humidifier in the room my tent is in, in case I find humidity levels dropping right off the chart and temperatures rising way high during a dry, but  if I manage the extraction just right, I should never have to use it.

I have seen a few different methods that mean weed can dry quicker and still be smooth and aromatic (especially after a cure) but in most circumstances, slow and low is best for tasty, aromatic, smooth weed.

I guess if you were in the desert or somewhere that has very low humidity all the time a small humidifier would allow you to keep humidity levels reasonable, but personally I would only want to do that if I could ensure that the RH would never rise about 62% and that the humidifier was in a lung-room feeding a drying tent with air at the perfect temperature and humidity.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

how did you dry it so fast in this weather, especially hanging whole? it's been very humid, and my humidity was 70% and stalled the drying after 2 weeks, i had to add a bit of heat for a few days to finish it off, i defo wouldn't add humidity though, you could lose the lot to rot quite fast

Mostly the humidity for me was in the 50-60 range and I did occasionally notice it dropping lower, I live in a high rise maybe that could affect it? dunno but both plants were reasonably small too and not hanging in the tent because I had to hide them, so they were in a cardboard box hanging from a wire, so that also could have affected it as well. Really appreciate the advice @MidgeSmith im hoping this time stealth wont be a factor and I can dry in the tent this run, and I will try and focus on air flow and temps rather than humidifier based on what you've said, this weed is still decent and harshness has improved over the weeks but want to get it better and I think it was probably too warm how they were stored drying that caused this. Appreciate it thank you. 

• Like 1

You are very welcome. I had a similar experience in spring you see.  I had been running my extractor based on temperature and I should have run it based on ambient humidity instead according to some very helpful guys on here.  I lost most of the terpenes from the two strains that were the driest and they were harsh too, though they'd been in 10 days, the fast moving air and high temps were just too much for them.

Luckily the sour diesel was still bladdy gowjus!

Best of luck oldleafybeard1!